Old bath towel for aquarium use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

althazud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just had a disaster occur in the aquarium. (It turned out to be a perfect storm series of events) but while trying to narrow down the possibilities I began to consider things that I hadn't thought of in the past.

The one that really stood out to me is the use of old towels for general aquarium purposes. Such as wiping glass, setting things on to dry, wiping off decorations. I've always heard of people using old bath towels.

My issue with this that these towels have been washed using detergent dozens of times not to mention the soap accumulated by drying yourself off. Is there a way to rid these towels of contaminant chemicals prior to use or is there something else that I'm missing?

Fairly sure based on my experience, It isn't your towels. I have two towels specifically for fish house purpose. They are washed separately on a normal load using standard detergents. They were old towels from the house.

I would look elsewhere.
What was the disaster?
What else went wrong?

The towel had nothing to do with my problem. Basically I had a bacteria bloom after a pwc and new plantings (there's more to the story but I now have the issue resolved)

I was just curious in general. I just know that 15ppm of detergent can be lethal to fish some even at 5ppm. There has to be enough in a laundry washed towel to contain that much. Depending on how you use your towels, if it doesn't kill your fish, it could still cause harm, damage slime coats or gills. And if nothing else, would add additional phosphates which could feed algae growth.

During my research over the past week I've heard people say to
1. Not use detergents to clean the aquarium (obviously)
2. Don't use paper towels due to the chemicals that reside inside them
3. Rinse your filter pad in old tank water and not tap water due to the chlorine and chloramines
4. Don't use an old toothbrush to clean anything. Only use a tank only toothbrush that has never touched toothpaste.

If these things (some more minor than others) can cause harm, why wouldn't using a machine washed towel for aquarium purposes also cause problems?

Oops, I also have an old toothbrush which I use often!
Best thing for impellers!

Yeah, number one, obvious!

Didn't know that about number two, but then I have towels......seems like a waste of paper more than anything, but ok, I'll go with chemicals are bad.

Number three is also obvious once you know! It just makes sense.

15ppm detergent lethal to fish.
How would you transfer that to the tank? You'd need to soak the towel in the tank.
Interested to see how you would test such a thing? And I'd like to know the answer!
Are there phosphates in detergents, if so, are they the right type to promote growth.

Algae bloom could be caused by agricultural run off affecting source water (tap) very common now it's planting time for the farmers......
(Phosphates for growth)

I have a bunch of old towels that I use and I was them as a separate load together. I just you detergent but no fabric softener. I have never had a problem.

Same with a toothbrush. I would use toothbrushs that I have used and instead of throwing hem away, convert them for aquarium use.
Never had a problem.

I use old towels (that I occasionally wash in the machine) and an old tooth brush as well. I haven't really had an issues either. I'm just starting to think more carefully about introducing unwanted substances to my tank

Number 3 is the only one I've followed, the rest I've done for years and my fish are ok.

I don't do numbers 1 & 3 all the rest I use. My tank has it's own freshly washed towel but I only use it to dry the outside. No point in drying something that's going to get wet anyway. I also use vinegar for limescale.

I just use general towels from old pile in cupboard and sadly have dropped enough towels in the tank that I have tested somewhat. No issues so far but guessing water, machine and detergents used make a difference? I'll have to check ingredients on the brand I use.

When it's said and done you will never know what chemicals are really in the products. Because those products don't list what they are made from. Manufactures are allowed a certain amount off proprietary ingredients they don't have to list. Lets not forget the water that's used. So it's actually impossible to protect fish from chemicals.

Lets not forget the water that's used. So it's actually impossible to protect fish from chemicals.

:lol:
And
:ROFLMAO:
Maybe also
:D

The only things that go in my tank, I add to it.
Could a mineral complex be considered a chemical?
I guess yes? So we actually need "desirable" chemicals to make the whole show work. Water devoid of such things cannot harbour most forms of aquatic life.

Back
Top Bottom