Old Castle Sand Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StevesPrettyCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I have heard a lot of people saying that Old Castle brand sand works very well, so while at Lowe's yesterday i picked up a bag of Old Castle White Play Sand. I was in a hurry so i grabbed it and the other stuff i needed and left. When I got home I saw "Not For Use In Aquariums". I know that companies sometimes put this on the product to avoid any legal issues, and was wondering if this may be the case in this situation? Pics Attached

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 73
Yeah that's probably the reason why it's put on there.

The main issue with play sand is that it's so fine grained that it easily clouds up when disturbed. Get Pool Filter Sand .... it's a bit more coarse and will quickly sink when disturbed so it doesn't cloud up the water.

thanks, I already have one bag of play sand in the tank now and it settles really well, but I washed the heck out of it before I put it in so thats probably why. The reasons I'm adding more are that I'm trying to cover up the plant pots I got in there, and I also have a battery operated poo sucker that tends to grab some sand too when I'm careless and get too close to it, so I just need to top it off.

If it settled quickly then you should be fine when you do gravel vacs, which is when most playsand tends to get distrubed. Sounds like your Play-sand is probably a bit coarser than others I've read about.

Good Luck!

i hope so, the only thing is tho is that first bag was just quikcrete and this stuff is Old Castle Kolorscape so I'm a bit worried. I've read so many people suggest specifically Old Castle Play Sand though, thats why I didn't give the bag a good look over before buying. I'll most likely just wash a cup full and test it out tomorrow to see what it says. Its a pain to get out to Lowe's or else I would just use the Quikcrete again...

Back
Top Bottom