Old freshwater to saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneball

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad just bought a geocube tank and it's looking fantastic, with little things coming out of the live rock he got and something new everyday he says, exactly what I wanted for my sons room. He has a freshwater aquarium in there now, but it's kind of boring, same old fish and not much else going on, which was why I wasn't upset when the live plants I planted in there came with snails lol.

I was wondering though, what the cost would be to turn a 20g freshwater to a small saltwater tank? Mostly just coral, maybe one or two fish, but the biggest thing I wanted was the little live stuff for his tank, the new stuff in the sand and whatnot. This possible for less than the cost of just a new cube and starting from scratch?

you'll need:

20lbs of sand
20lbs of LR
test kit
most likely new lights
water supply thats not tap (either premix from LFS or your own)
most likely protein skimmer. I only have FOWLR so I'm not sure for corals
powerhead

I prob missed a few things but others will chime in

now the sand, does it have to be some kind of live sand or can it be the same pool filter sand substrate i use in my chiclid tanks?

thank you so much!

I'd suggest getting a new bag of aragonite sand, which will be much better for the aquarium. Stay away from the "live sand" and get the regular dry variety.

Also, with a 20 gal you can get away with not using a protein skimmer if you're looking to save on cost at first. As long as you use RO/DI clean water and keep up with your water changes you will be fine.

When you're ready to start come back and we can get into more details about starting the SW tank. good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom