OMG! He did it again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellawson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can not believe this! I came home to another Oscar in my tank my husband is unbelievable! After a pretty heated educational discussion and a threat to make him sleep in the bathtub (if he cramps my fish so too shall he be cramped!) he proclaims "we need a bigger tank". Aw ya think?...lol. I have a plan but I want to run it by you guys first before I put a lot of time and money into it.
I am going to try to reseal my 30g tank since I still have all the equipment, and after it cycles put the Oscar in there he is about 2 inches right now, I'm not sure how fast they grow I'm hoping he won't out grow it for a few months at least.
Then get to work on my 100g I only have the tank and the lights right now but I'm guesstimating with my fingers crossed by Christmas I can work out everything else and put the Oscar, and my Common Pleco in there. Just leaving my Jack Dempsey, and the Clown Loach in the 75g.
Hopefully that will give everyone the room they need. It's obvious my husband wants an Oscar and I really DO NOT want to go back to the lsf with another "bag in hand" so I really hope this plan sounds good.

I'm afraid your Oscar will out grow a 30g long before Christmas. I bought 2 of them three months ago and they are already almost 5 inches long. I would personally think that he would be much better in the 75 gallon until you can get the new 100 gallon up and running. IMO you don't have that many fish in the 75 gallon to keep him in there.

I was actually more concerned about him being territorial, I have never had an Oscar (for long) and my JD is a very mellow guy I really don't want to wake up to a tank war one morning. Geesh they really grow that fast wow, this is definitely going to be interesting.

I was actually more concerned about him being territorial, I have never had an Oscar (for long) and my JD is a very mellow guy I really don't want to wake up to a tank war one morning. Geesh they really grow that fast wow, this is definitely going to be interesting.

With clean water and a good diet its not uncommon for them to grow an inch a month atleast till they hit 8-9" or so then they seem to slow down. I would jsut leave him in with the JD for now. The 75 is plenty big enough till christmas for both of them.

Oscars are actually really personable and can be trained. There is alot of good info out there on them. Ping pong balls are great for them to play with and many train them to eat from their hands. They are like the dog of the fish world, tehy will come up to greet you when you arrive.

YouTube - Oscar playing with his ball

Craig

Back
Top Bottom