omg please tell me this isn't a snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not only am I fighting my PH battle, but tonight I saw on the side of my tank, this thing i thought ( excuse how gross this description is ) was a bloody booger hanging on the glass. It was clear, spiral and had red insides and two little antenna and was crawling along........Obviously this was a snail and i scooped him out with a plastic spoon lol I still have that live plant in there that my youth pastor gave me, plus when i added my new fish there was a couple small pieces of the plants they had in there tnaks that floated in mine for a day or so. Now that I have snails, this explains where that stem i had planted in the tank suddenly disapeared to, well possibly

ruby red ramshorn snail. they are really quite pretty, good algae eaters, and DO NOT eat plants!. i cultivate them cuz they're so pretty. if you have loaches, any of the botia genus, they will eat the snails and the eggs. but they really can't harm anything in your tank. or just stick piece of zucchini in there and then pick it out when it becomes covered with snails. you could even sell them--they are some of the more expensive snails on aquabid.

probably hitch hiked on one of the plants. they do breed like crazy, but you can keep the numbers down with the zucchini trick. i personally love them and find them quite pretty. i haven't seen one yet that's been over the size of a nickel--so i'm no really sure if they get big. they'll also take care of a lot of the dead plant detritus--but they really don't eat live plants--and they're great for brown algae. i have about a billion (ok a few hundred) in my 6g. i only wish i could keep them in my 125g, but the loaches eat them. i have about 10 that have managed to survive in that tank.

it all depends on whether you like the way they look...

hth

I have a similar situation in my 75g planted tank. Came in as hitchhikers from my first plant acquistion and I have tons (ok, several pounds) of them. I have found them to be beneficial as well. Occassionally, I will round up a few and give them to my LFS who gives me credit toward food and/or other inexpensive merchandise. :)

rich--do you want them for loach food or for beauty. i have a bunch of whitish ones--discolored due to age or poor nutrition...i can send them to you for food. if you want beauty, i can send you those too.

I have snails in my tank and they are doing a wonderful job at cleaning up that dreadfull carpet algae.

What's really neat is when they get on the glass and you can see their mouths or whatever you call it. It looks like a little pink dot moving underneith them.

Back
Top Bottom