? on lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOVEYOURPOOLGUY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have an all-glass aquarium hood w/a fluorescent strip light, and a weak one at that. I am about to purchase a power compact w/a moonlight, but am a little confused about whether or not the new light will work with my current lid, meaning do i have to buy a new lid or will the little area of glass that is currently on my lid let enough light through. I assume you know the type of lid I am referring to, its an all-glass that has a little hatch in the front and a little strip of glass in the middle and knock outs in the back for peripherals. If I do need a new lid what type is good and where could I find them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh the type of light I am buying is a custom sea life pc w/moonlite 48"

thanks!

I assume that your tank is 48" long?
Also, does your all Glass hood have a bracket divided the tank in half?
If not what I always suggest is the glass covers since they are great in preventing evaporation & excellent covers that doesn't restrict you from placing you lighting in a specific way. which is cool. Also, it really cheap, but effective at only about $20-35 bucks, you cant loss. :wink:

I acutally dont like glass covers because they trap heat and can cause heat problems when you use higher output lights.

If you plan on sitting the hood directly on top of the tank then you should have something between it and the water to prevent it from falling in if bumped.

I have one one my 55 gal fw, sits right on top of the plastic lid with no problems, You will notice when you open the lid it will not "stay" open. the light keeps it balanced just enough so that if you even bump the light, tank, or lid it will close. I am preparing to change it out to the glass tops. :D

We bought a glass cover for our 75 gal and a 4x55 PC light. The temps in the tank would shoot up fast with the light for a couple of hours. After we built a canopy and the light sits in the canopy about 3-4 inches above the water, temp problems are not an issue. Evaporation is more evident though. I am losing a little more than a 1/2 gal a day.

Part of my problem is 2 big pumps in a small amount of water. That will be fixed soon :)

quick question does the glass cover completely cover the top of the tank, or can you get them a little under sized to allow for some room on the sides or front or back for heat to escape?

The glass cover will fit the tank snug side to side but most have a 2-3" gap at the back of the tank and include a plastic extension that you can cut for cords and filter's etc.

Back
Top Bottom