On the watch for a tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a play with aqadvisor to see what my stocking would be like if I combined the 2 tanks, since that was one of the reasons I wanted a larger tank.
This is want I got with all my fish aside from the male betta and not including the guppy and platy fry.
65790-albums11260-picture49086.html

What are your opinions on this setup? Do you think this is going to work for me?

Oh and also I know that this isn't probably recommended but had any one had experience with a male Betta and rams in a community tank?
I'm not saying I will do this if its a definite no no but he's in my sons community tank so I was just curious as to if I could try and add him to the upgraded tank with the rest of the fish?

Oh and also I know that this isn't probably recommended but had any one had experience with a male Betta and rams in a community tank?
I'm not saying I will do this if its a definite no no but he's in my sons community tank so I was just curious as to if I could try and add him to the upgraded tank with the rest of the fish?

Every betta is different, it could work or might not. My betta wouldn't allow anything in its tank at all, then I had to separate a male platy from my big tank and put him in the betta's, they're best buds now. And I have rams in my bigger tank with community fish and they all do great

Ok thanks I guess I'll try it and see how it goes when the time comes. Do you think my stock I have listed in the link from aquadvisor is going to be fine and the size tank I'm planing on getting
This is the tank
http://www.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=1012249201

Glad you're thinking about this tank, it's the one I would have picked. Very nice. I looked at your stock list picture but its cut off, all I can see are the Latin lames. Can you reload it or type it out?

I would rethink the scarlet badis, they're very shy and should probably be kept in a species tank, ill look over it again after I get some sleep, just didnt want you to feel forgotten haha

Attachments

• image-3893042128.jpg
    image-3893042128.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 87
I would rethink the scarlet badis, they're very shy and should probably be kept in a species tank, ill look over it again after I get some sleep, just didnt want you to feel forgotten haha

Their the fish I already have all of them are already in a community setting. Ill keep that in mind with the scarlet badis though he's been doing well in a community setting in the 70litre (17.5g) so I guess I'll see how he goes with the others and i can always set up a nano tank with one of the tanks i have empty if need be. I'd just really like to narrow it down the one larger tank ideally. Im pretty excited about going to see the tank this afternoon well my afternoon hehe. The only thing is i really wanted an angel fish when i did end up upgrading but im going to be pretty stocked i think with all my current fish. I love the look of the tank and the price is really good it would just be a bit disappointing to not go large enough to get my long awaited veil tail angel I've been dreaming of. But it's such a good deal and I've been looking for months for a tank that's affordable and my style. Thanks heaps :)

Ahh okay, I got it now. If the badis is doing good and showing all the signs of a healthy happy fish then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be ready to make an adjustment to fit its needs if things change, which sounds like you've already got that covered. I think you're making the right decisions by upgrading ad sounds like you're taking all things into consideration so my advice would just be to make sure you have more than adequate filtration and enjoy the new tank!(whichever one it may be)

Ahh okay, I got it now. If the badis is doing good and showing all the signs of a healthy happy fish then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just be ready to make an adjustment to fit its needs if things change, which sounds like you've already got that covered. I think you're making the right decisions by upgrading ad sounds like you're taking all things into consideration so my advice would just be to make sure you have more than adequate filtration and enjoy the new tank!(whichever one it may be)

Yeah he seems a happy little guy and is eating well and exploring. But I have a back up plan so alls good. It will definitely be the 41.5g I'm going to see tonight if its what it looks like in the picture. I'm not sure what type of filtration or lighting it comes with so I guess I'll see when I view it. But I'll definitely upgrade filters if its not for at least double the tank volume. I'm just hoping it has decent lighting I want a nice planted tank with something other than low light plants and some nice red plants.
You don't think I'll be overstocked and the tank will be too small for my stock list? And what did you think about the possibility of me adding an angel eventually ?

So I got the tank and now I have it home in not happy all the equipment is ancient and crappy and the heaters missing ,now I've had a good look and there's wood rot under the hood that needs puttying and sealing since it didn't have any glass cover under it :/ the tank looks like it needs to be resealed which I couldn't see when it was set up in their house it looked all good. I guess I didn't know the right things to check and questions to ask. I feel so stupid I'm way too trusting :/ so that's $350 gone. I'm never buying second hand again! I'd rather pay $1000 on a new one in great condition and look after it. They do laybuys on the tanks at my LFS so I guess maybe next fortnight ill look into that. Oh and now I'm stuck with two sail fin Molly's that came with the tank! So I'm majorly overstocked with them since I added them to my sons 50litre tank since its being treated currently and didn't want to put them in my healthy tank. Sooo annoyed at myself mainly.

So I got the tank and now I have it home in not happy all the equipment is ancient and crappy and the heaters missing ,now I've had a good look and there's wood rot under the hood that needs puttying and sealing since it didn't have any glass cover under it :/ the tank looks like it needs to be resealed which I couldn't see when it was set up in their house it looked all good. I guess I didn't know the right things to check and questions to ask. I feel so stupid I'm way too trusting :/ so that's $350 gone. I'm never buying second hand again! I'd rather pay $1000 on a new one in great condition and look after it. They do laybuys on the tanks at my LFS so I guess maybe next fortnight ill look into that. Oh and now I'm stuck with two sail fin Molly's that came with the tank! So I'm majorly overstocked with them since I added them to my sons 50litre tank since its being treated currently and didn't want to put them in my healthy tank. Sooo annoyed at myself mainly.

So Sorry to hear that! People can be so shady...

You may want to look into just fixing the problems youve noticed, shouldnt be that hard and will save you a bunch of money. You dont need the canopy if its too much trouble to fix.

Yes unfortunately they can. Yeah I'll look into it im just not the most handy person when it comes to that side of things. I looked at a video on YouTube of resealing a tank and thought ummm omg I cant do that ,why can't it just be ready to go like I wanted lol and I'm going to need to buy a new filter and a new heater more aquasoil. The glass is covered in calcium aswell and ill need to get a glass cover. Not what I was planning but oh well my poor fish will have to wait a while for there new upgrade,

Also I was wanting to know if I end up with medium to high light which I'd like to have since I want a more colourful range and more options of plants do I need to use co2 or can I just dose with the flourish comprehensive like I do now? I'd just prefer to stick to liquid fertilisers if I could ?

Also I was wanting to know if I end up with medium to high light which I'd like to have since I want a more colourful range and more options of plants do I need to use co2 or can I just dose with the flourish comprehensive like I do now? I'd just prefer to stick to liquid fertilisers if I could ?

I don't dose co2 and I have a good amount of plants and medium (dual t5no) light, it does quite well. I only use flourish comp and excel. What plants are you looking at specifically?

I'm not sure exactly just wanted to be able to go to the store and choose the ones I like. I'm not all that good with the plant names and types besides low lights.

I'm not sure exactly just wanted to be able to go to the store and choose the ones I like. I'm not all that good with the plant names and types besides low lights.

Your best bet would be to go to the store and write down the names of plants you like then ask here and research online. I don't know what you guys have down under but I have a bunch of plants in my tanks, if you see ones you like I can tell you what they are and their needs

Back
Top Bottom