On the watch for a tank upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a standard t8 light. Will grow most low light plants, but that's about it. I have aqueon dual standard output t5 fixtures on my 55g and 20g tanks and have really enjoyed them, they give me very good medium lighting. Might be something to look into, they're far better than standard t8s and give many more options as far as plants go but not strong enough to need co2 or grow algae(as long as you regular when they're on). They're also cheap, I got my 48" for $69 and my smaller one only cost $40.

Ok thank you so much for your help. Can I just upgrade the light tube ? It do I have to replace the whole unit I can't find any info on the unit so I'm not sure ?

Ok thank you so much for your help. Can I just upgrade the light tube ? It do I have to replace the whole unit I can't find any info on the unit so I'm not sure ?

Sucks, but no. Only t8s go into t8 fixtures, t5no only in t5no, t5ho in t5ho, so on and so on. If you plant to keep the t8 I do suggest getting a bulb that is in the spectrum needed for plants. Something that says plant growth on it or somewhere in the 6,700K range

Ok so if I bring the bulb in and ask for something that will fit my unit and grow plants they should be able to help me? I'm trying to fix it up today the hinge at the top is rusted if so going to the hardware to get a replacement some wood putty and stuff. We filled the tank up last night and there were no leakages but it seems a little chipped in the corners at the bottom so we are going to touch up those little notches with silicon. What silicon do I have to use ? Can I get it from the hardware or does it have to be special
Aquarium stuff? Jeez this is a new experience for me! Then it's onto scrubbing the tank and getting the calcium and muck of it. Do I just use vinegar and bi carb soda ? What's your suggested best way ? And again thank you for all the help I really appreciate it and its making all this a lot easier

So I got aquarium silicon and a new light bulb called extra day hi glow it's meant to be the brightest one that will go with my unit. It didn't have the k on it though but the other brands did but the shop people still said this one was the brightest they had. So now I'm off to get a heater and filter. It's a 41.5g so what filter should I be looking at getting?
You know if I got the tank free I would not mind all of this!

Ok I'm slowly getting there the stand is all clean and looking good the hood has been sanded down where it's rotting underneath. I've just scrubbed the tank with vinegar and a body loofah . It's looking better and drying now so when it's fully dried again ill give it another scrub. The glass is scratched up pretty bad but once it's filled hopefully it won't be so noticeable. The only thing is that grosse green stuff underneath the silicon around the edges inside I can't get it off. I got a 200watt heater and will get a new appropriate filter when I'm not so broke. Just gotta figure out my substrate. Oh n put the new globe in and checked if it works all good. Yay I'm feeling more confident now.

Since the lighting didn't have the k rating on it I did some research online and I've only found one site that said it was 6500k so ill keep looking to make sure. But considering that will I be able to get anything other than low light plants ?

Sounds good! Someone else might know what the green stuff is. And 6.5k is fine and you should be able to grow any of the plants you have in your other tanks. As for filters, a couple good HOB are aqua clears and fluval c series. Glad your feeling more confident with your tank and starting to enjoy it!

Sounds good! Someone else might know what the green stuff is. And 6.5k is fine and you should be able to grow any of the plants you have in your other tanks. As for filters, a couple good HOB are aqua clears and fluval c series. Glad your feeling more confident with your tank and starting to enjoy it!

Ok cool will I be able to grow any medium light plants ? Or any red plants ? I won't be able to fit a HOB filter under my hood so I was going to just go with an internal filter. I've thought about a canister filter but I've never used one before and don't even know how they work. I really want black substrate like my aquasoil but it's just so expensive. Do you know of any black sand hat aquarium safe and cheap ? If not I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the aquasoil.

Ok cool will I be able to grow any medium light plants ? Or any red plants ? I won't be able to fit a HOB filter under my hood so I was going to just go with an internal filter. I've thought about a canister filter but I've never used one before and don't even know how they work. I really want black substrate like my aquasoil but it's just so expensive. Do you know of any black sand hat aquarium safe and cheap ? If not I guess I'll bite the bullet and get the aquasoil.

You may be able to keep medium light plants alive but growth may be really slow. Maybe try cabomba furctata. For substrate I really like Super Naturals: Tahitian Moon sand, I have it in my big tank and its great stuff

You may be able to keep medium light plants alive but growth may be really slow. Maybe try cabomba furctata. For substrate I really like Super Naturals: Tahitian Moon sand, I have it in my big tank and its great stuff

Ok thank you :) ill ring around and see if u can find a fish store here that stocks it.

All the internal filters that are rated for at least 200litres are quite big and chunky and I'd rather have one other than two smaller ones.

All the internal filters that are rated for at least 200litres are quite big and chunky and I'd rather have one other than two smaller ones.

What's your budget? Or a general range of what you would like to spent on a filter? I'm not a fan of internal filters, I'm sure they work fine, but I would hate seeing it all the time in my tank, I already hate seeing my intake strainer and heater haha

What's your budget? Or a general range of what you would like to spent on a filter? I'm not a fan of internal filters, I'm sure they work fine, but I would hate seeing it all the time in my tank, I already hate seeing my intake strainer and heater haha

Well I don't have one set out exactly I just don't want to spend an over the top amount id prefer a cheaper but efficient option. I know what you mean! I would prefer a HOB so it's just the intake I'm seeing and that can be disguised easy enough but I can't do that if I want to use the hood which I do. I've thought about a canister but like I've said before I don't know anything about them and they are heaps more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom