One angry gourami...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspaceotter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I set up a 55 gallon tank about a year and a half ago and I bought three gouramis and three mollies. They all did well for about a week until I noticed one of my gouramis had been isolated, next day he was dead... Two days later same thing isolated gourami hiding behind a power head, next day dead. Everytime I buy a gourami my current one kills it... Is this normal behavior?

Very normal. Gouramis, while usually peaceful towards other fish, can be very territorial towards each other. I would not recommend adding any more to your tank!

Are you sure the one gourami you have is killing others? Some Gouramis are really sensitive to new water conditions. Do you actually see your current gourami beating up on the new ones?

Well I've seen him chase the others when they try and move out From behind there hiding spot and he has tried to nip at some of my other fish.

I do believe that the gourami is the killer, same happened to me with 2 gouramis in a 26G tank.

Even he attacked my angelfish and almost killed him. I returned the gourami to my lfs, was beautiful but territorial.

Well he seems to have calmed down when I place a more predatory fish in the tank they both avoid each other and calmed down and eat flakes I'm considering adding another gourami seeing if his territorial attitude returns

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom