One more fish to add in with female betta & 7 pygmy catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cherry shrimp would work great. They aren't as delicate as other species of shrimp...if you keep your params stable, they will thrive. The biggest thing is making sure you have a sponge over the intake on your filter...they easily get sucked up if you don't. I learned that the hard way. They love hiding out in decor...my Java moss is their favorite but before I converted to live plants they did well in my silk ones too. Just make sure they have places to hide. As for food, mine enjoy frozen bloodworms, frozen omnivore cubes, Betta pellets, and any flakes I throw in as a supplement. They love to clean my snails shells and often 'catch a ride' in my mysteries. They're fun critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't really know much about killifish but I saw one with a crooked spine so I got her and she does well with my betta haha. She was called a Golden Wonder but I'm not sure if that's true or not and there is a lot of conflicting info on golden wonders. I do know that there are smaller species of killis out there.

You could try apple snails, or ramshorn snails, just not pond snails because well you probably know why. Also if you have a 50+ g aquarium you could add Kuhli loaches. Also another suggestion, my LFS said that ADFs (African dwarf frogs) can live in small tanks (which I do not believe) they are SUPER interesting to watch! I know ADFs and snails are not technically "fish" but they are an adorable addition to my tanks so maybe yours too!
Keep Swimming!!ψ

Luv4bettas

I don't really know much about killifish but I saw one with a crooked spine so I got her and she does well with my betta haha. She was called a Golden Wonder but I'm not sure if that's true or not and there is a lot of conflicting info on golden wonders. I do know that there are smaller species of killis out there.

They are definitely one of the biggest, golden wonders reach 6" and will aggressively devour anything that they can fit in their mouths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cherry shrimp would work great. They aren't as delicate as other species of shrimp...if you keep your params stable, they will thrive. The biggest thing is making sure you have a sponge over the intake on your filter...they easily get sucked up if you don't. I learned that the hard way. They love hiding out in decor...my Java moss is their favorite but before I converted to live plants they did well in my silk ones too. Just make sure they have places to hide. As for food, mine enjoy frozen bloodworms, frozen omnivore cubes, Betta pellets, and any flakes I throw in as a supplement. They love to clean my snails shells and often 'catch a ride' in my mysteries. They're fun critters.

Thank you! I will definitely explore that option!

I'm glad you saved her :D

I think I am going to maybe look at some shrimp or maybe more pygmys... decisions decisions. I would like other fish but it seems to not be a good idea :(

You could try apple snails, or ramshorn snails, just not pond snails because well you probably know why. Also if you have a 50+ g aquarium you could add Kuhli loaches. Also another suggestion, my LFS said that ADFs (African dwarf frogs) can live in small tanks (which I do not believe) they are SUPER interesting to watch! I know ADFs and snails are not technically "fish" but they are an adorable addition to my tanks so maybe yours too!
Keep Swimming!!ψ

Luv4bettas

I did want a snail or two, but, a friend had told me they can poo a lot and I would be worried about making sure it got enough to eat (Miss Betta is Miss Piggy sometimes lol). But I love snails :D

I thought about the frogs... so cute... my lfs has some. I want to get one or two sometime, but, I dunno... I could do that in my 10g I suppose. I wonder if they would harrass the pygmy catfish though.... or even the betta?

I was also thinking, maybe maybe we could get 3-5 more pygmy catfish if the lfs still has them.

Would that be okay?

Michelle they are cute!!!

Would that be ok with a female betta though? I'm not sure :(

I also don't want to overstock, and I was thinking my pygmy catfish would be happier if I got more of them instead of another kind of fish at this point.

I think 6 pygmy cories is fine...

It's up to you if you want to add color to the tank. I don't see any difference from having neon tetras and the Scarlett's but maybe someone else knows more.
My betta is pretty peaceful with his tankmates..

I'd get 2 more cories

Fishobsessed7

Ok! I hope they still have some. Should they be quarantined first at this point or just plop them in? We quarantined them at first.

Do you think 3-5 more would be too many? They're so tiny and we keep up with the water testing & changing. I just want to see them be happy and see more fish :)

Well...a 20 only takes up a few more inches of space.....

That was my driving point with my hubby when I was hungering for an upgrade lol. Multiple tank syndrome is rough!

Well...a 20 only takes up a few more inches of space.....

That was my driving point with my hubby when I was hungering for an upgrade lol. Multiple tank syndrome is rough!

I know... we just don't really want to have to keep up with a larger tank/buy a larger tank, plus we don't want to have to move everyone and everything. Maybe in the future. It was a chore enough catching these catfish and moving them from the 5g to the 10g then they get all winged out when we do a water change.

Haha yay! :p Yeah, it is... if we had room... maybe... but it also can get expensive. We are about maxed out on fish related stuff lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom