Ongoing issues with tropical tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all

I seem to be having issues with my tropical tank and I just cannot seem to figure out what is going on.

2 of my neon tetra have suddenly developed a big white/clear growth on their mouths. 2 treatments of Esha and no change. Swimming, eating and acting normally but still this huge spot that just wont shift

Then out of nowhere my yellow male guppy dies - yesterday

The blue male guppy keeps hiding behind the plants and floating vertically.

I have now just fed the fish and 1 neon and the blue guppy both started floating side ways and upwards. After a while they managed to rectify themselves. The blue guppy now wont eat and has gone back into hiding.

I just don't understand what is going on. The water parameters have not changed - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 (as it come out of the tap). I'm just at a loss!

Can someone help???

Hi all I seem to be having issues with my tropical tank and I just cannot seem to figure out what is going on. 2 of my neon tetra have suddenly developed a big white/clear growth on their mouths. 2 treatments of Esha and no change. Swimming, eating and acting normally but still this huge spot that just wont shift Then out of nowhere my yellow male guppy dies - yesterday The blue male guppy keeps hiding behind the plants and floating vertically. I have now just fed the fish and 1 neon and the blue guppy both started floating side ways and upwards. After a while they managed to rectify themselves. The blue guppy now wont eat and has gone back into hiding. I just don't understand what is going on. The water parameters have not changed - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 (as it come out of the tap). I'm just at a loss! Can someone help???

If nitrates is 40 out of the tap that is bad because if the tank is not planted then their would be nothing to absorb the nitrates and the levels would keep increasing until well dead fish. So either find and alternate water supply or densely plant the tank

So you think it might be the nitrates? I have another tank and the fish are all fine in this tank. Nitrates are the same. I use Prime that claims to detoxify nitrate. Does that not work?

Back
Top Bottom