Online buying..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking at stocking my 55g in a few weeks once my tank is cycled.. I have the option of ordering at my lfs pretty much anything I want, but I'm a little on the fence of ordering my blue ram because I don't get to see the fish before hand and I don't want to feel obligated to get it if it's not as colourful as I would like it (it's going to be the "show case" fish of all my aquariums so far)
The thing is I live in Québec, (Canada) and it's freezing out here (-30c, -22f).. Would it be possible ? Any good (and reliable) web sites? Do you really get the fish in the picture?
Thank you very much!

Unless you order overnight, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable shipping fish in those temps. Even overnight, I'm not sure they would make it. Any local breeders you could buy from? Fish club auction?

Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering fish at those temps either. However, most postal services allow you to pick up the package at the facility which is something that I would absolutely do if ordering online. It will keep the package out of the delivery truck for a long period of time.

Generally on aquabid you either get the fish pictured or the parents of the pictured fish. It might be worth checking out.

Well, I guess I will be waiting a few months.. Figured as much, I wrap them up just to bring them home from the store..
Thanks!!!

I do all of my research on liveaquaria.com. It is a very good site although shipping is expensive if you are only getting a couple of fish. Still good to look around though.

Just let the store owner/manager know that you wont excpet crappy looking fish. You should also have them hold them for a few days, or tell them not to aclimate them to their water. A ram going threw shipping, then acclimation at the store, then acclimation in your tank will be quite stressful. They arent the hardiest of fish. They can order a bunch, and sell the ones you dont get. If they know you are a good customer and willing to give them lots of money over a long time im sure they wont mind.

Back
Top Bottom