Open brain coral question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flreefer said:
I'm in Northport, just south of Venice. Cool, didn't know you were that close!
I think the shrimp are just smelling some decay, and want an easy meal. I don't believe they could have killed it. Typically they will pick stuff off corals, not pick at the coral directly.
Only thing I can think of would be high nitrates or not enough light. What is your nitrate reading, and what lights do you have? Also how deep is the tank?

That's cool that's not to far, have any good stores out there?
I didn't check nitrates today yet but yesterday they were at 20 everything else 0 ph 8.0 and salinity 1.025

Lighting 2 T5 1 is 10,000k other is actinic.

My tank is only 19 inches deep.

My frogspawn, Xenia, colt coral and mushrooms seem to be doing well.

scottayy said:
How often were you feeding it? I feed mine a chunk of silverside 2x a week. Do you have enough light to support LPS on the sandbed? IMO, that container is just blocking light and reducing flow.

We fed it mysis and phytoplankton every couple of days

A 2-bulb T5 isn't really enough light for an open brain, it could be that it wasn't getting enough light. It might be too late, but try putting it up high on the rocks in a stable place.
Scott is right too, the cover is just reducing light and flow. The shrimp should only pick at what's decaying, not healthy tissue. 20 trates is high, but shouldn't be the cause of such a quick death either. I'd do a water change to bring them down.
Favorite place in Sarasota for corals is Coral Connection on Clark road. At any one time, they must have 200 frags, all the way up to $200 Acro's. Good quality, good fish too, but somewhat limited selection. Great guys, the two owners are the staff.

The mysis is good. The brain coral does not directly eat the phytoplankton but it is good for your tank. I would give it a good chunk of something meaty (like a full frozen shrimp, chunk of silverside) at least once per week to help speed up it's recovery. When you do, watch it to make sure fish don't grab it out of it's mouth (I stand there and flick the tank when they get near it, lol).

This is just what I do anyways. I have no idea how others care for their brains but mine is doing awesome.

They will want moderate lighting and medium flow. Two t5 bulbs and 19" under water would be low lighting. I would move it up.

scottayy said:
The mysis is good. The brain coral does not directly eat the phytoplankton but it is good for your tank. I would give it a good chunk of something meaty (like a full frozen shrimp, chunk of silverside) at least once per week to help speed up it's recovery. When you do, watch it to make sure fish don't grab it out of it's mouth (I stand there and flick the tank when they get near it, lol).

This is just what I do anyways. I have no idea how others care for their brains but mine is doing awesome.

They will want moderate lighting and medium flow. Two t5 bulbs and 19" under water would be low lighting. I would move it up.

I moved it up should i squirt it with some brine and mysis , I don't have silversides at the moment

scottayy said:

Here are update pics

Attachments

• image-3657834291.jpg
    image-3657834291.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2526142498.jpg
    image-2526142498.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 88
Guess only time will tell now. Applaud your effort! When you feed, or at night time, does it open up and expose it's feeding tentacles?

That is a great save. As long as there's flesh left it can be saved. However, I don't know if that's the case if the conditions in the tank are what made it die to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom