Open to suggestions on cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, here's my update. I went to petsmart and bought a holding/breeding tank for the auratus. It seems to be doing much better. I also bought stacking rocks and just rebuilt the tank. It's so cloudy but I know it'll clear and I hope they appreciate it because my fries from McDonalds went cold. Also, my blue striped ones are circling and chasing each others rear ends. I think my tank must be optimal because it seems to be breeding time in there. Lol. Now what?

what do u guys think About my red jewel he barley has any red in him he also fights wit my lab jus had like a 30 second fight yesterday leaving him with damaged fins

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120815_151556.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120815_151556.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 71
garfy said:
Mood is very much a factor with colour in jewels not just breeding.A stressed fish will lose colour.

Can't disagree with that. If I'm correct in thinking her fish are new to the tank, it sounds like theyre right on track.

When I first got my jewels (both male) I was of the opinion that they were very aggressive.Especially when breeding (that's why I chose 2 males)
However now I am of the opinion that mbuna are too boisterous for jewels and don't really fit in with them.
Soon I am rehousing all my current residents and going for a pair of large CA cichlids with the intention of breeding them.A challenge I am thoroughly looking forward to :D

garfy said:
When I first got my jewels (both male) I was of the opinion that they were very aggressive.Especially when breeding (that's why I chose 2 males)
However now I am of the opinion that mbuna are too boisterous for jewels and don't really fit in with them.
Soon I am rehousing all my current residents and going for a pair of large CA cichlids with the intention of breeding them.A challenge I am thoroughly looking forward to :D

Cool. Can't wait to see how it goes.

I was also under the impression that the jewels were crazy aggressive and now that I've had them for awhile I see that's they're no more aggressive than my mbuna. They are tough little buggers though. My female will stand up to anybody in the tank and she always successfully dominates whoever it is. She is a seasoned mama though with 6 or 7 broods under her belt.

My jewels were fighting and colored up some!

Attachments

• image-3732380710.jpg
    image-3732380710.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3705264043.jpg
    image-3705264043.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-2241324982.jpg
    image-2241324982.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 67
Here's the whole tank. Excuse the tubing, it embarrasses me because I don't know how to hide it. It's still cloudy from where I destroyed it earlier but not as bad. I know it's bright but it matches me!

Attachments

• image-4132399376.jpg
    image-4132399376.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1357507503.jpg
    image-1357507503.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 80
AprilMartinez said:
Here's the whole tank. Excuse the tubing, it embarrasses me because I don't know how to hide it. It's still cloudy from where I destroyed it earlier but not as bad. I know it's bright but it matches me!

Looks great! sure is bright and the fish will even be brighter :). There is only a couple things that can easily be done about the tubes. Like stated above a tall plant or I would say a tall rock thingy (whatever we would call those things) ;)

Back
Top Bottom