Opinion on a hydrogen sulfide smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raym94

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ceramic log that has a faint smell of rotten eggs every time I take it out of the tank to scrub it down. I do this every week with my regular water changes. I am assuming it is hydrogen sulfide, but why would it be associated with this one piece of tank decor? I have had no problems with the tank or its inhabitants, but it does concern me. Please let me know your thoughts.
I should add that there is nothing that I can see that has died or is decaying in the log. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Hi raym94

I have a question for you. Do you fill with tap water from your house? If so, do you ever notice a egg smell from you water, mainly check the hot water. If the hot water does have a smell you have an issue with your water heater anode rod. LMK, just a guess of where the issue is stemming from.

I use RO/DI water in my tank. We have a good water supply here but it was alkaline. Using RO/DI was an easy way to lower the pH without adding chemicals to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom