Opinions Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for opinions on how many fish I put put into my new 65/75 gal tank. I will be buying the tank and setting it up in about a week. I think I'm going to run through a fishless cycle using chemicals instead of traumatizing more fish (god knows my first time around should have made up for everything).

I am going to move the fish from my 10 gal into my new tank (see sig for what types), so I can use my 10 gal as QT/Hospital tank. The rest of the fish I would like are:

mollies
swordtails
platies
guppies
cory cats or otos?

Now I know some of these don't like the same water params as others. My water in my 10 gal runs at 7.4 ph, soft water, 76-79 degrees, and averages 20 in nitrates (no registers of nitrites or ammonia in a while).

I also know livebearers will have...babies! And so I want to leave room for some to survive...in other words I don't want my tank filled to the brink to start with.

So I guess I'd like suggestions on how many of each or which ones are no no for sure with these params. I do keep aquarium salt in my tank currently ( I know...people say not to with tetras, but I swear my guys do not seem inhibited by it! ), and I think I heard some livebearers (maybe mollies?) like salt in the water.

Also, I have decided to just buy a nice plant friendly substrate to start the tank out with, but I am not putting plants in until I can afford a decent lighting system...probably later this year.

TIA!

I think you will do fine with mollies, platies or swordtails. I think the tetras might like some buddies, though, as they are schooling fish, as are the danios. I am not sure if the golden algae eater gets aggressive as it gets older, like the CAE (same thing? Gyrinocheilus aymonieri?) but it will certainly get large.

Most likely the fish will eat enough of the fry that you won't have a population explosion, but you will increase your numbers. I don't know if you have kept livebearers before, but get at least 3 females for each male, or they will get harrassed. Good luck, and enjoy!

i'd go with the live bearers and cats that you have listed maybe add a few neons and danios. live beares are my favorites.

I would say scrap the livebearer idea, keep your 10gal running, and put a mated pair of oscars in the tank instead :D

livebears are great...baby fry are exciting. Its up to you though...Oscars are food pigs while livebears can each just flake...even the fry. (Even though a varried diet is recomened)

Depending on the amount of salt you use, you might have to scrap the "later-on" live plant idea. It would be a shame to put a fair amount of cash into lights and have salt kill the plants.

William said:
I would say scrap the livebearer idea, keep your 10gal running, and put a mated pair of oscars in the tank instead :D

Do you have a dog, Kerrinne? If not, get the oscars :) They're like cute little puppies :)

LOL No, I am certain I don't want an oscar, but thank you. :) I am more the small, peaceful fish type person. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a big tank and all to put only one fish in there either. :p I'm going to have lots of little friends if I'm going to invest.

Salt is only minimal use. The package says to use 1 rounded tsp for 5 gal; I use that much for my 10 gal. My plants appear to be doing just dandy in there thus far. But it is my first time with plants. :) We'll see how that goes after time.

I tried getting some more BA tetras, but I think they were too small when I bought them from Petsmart. My other fish attacked them after I left the room - they didn't last long as they were in fishy heaven just after about 30 minutes. I feel awful for the ending they must have had...

My golden-algae eater is finally getting bigger....after six months of never changing size. So I know he will definitely have to go in the big tank. People have warned me of his aggression, but so far he is the mildest one in the lot. My two tetras currently school with my giant danios. In fact, one of my tetras is the size of my giant danios LOL. I think they all think they're the same type of fish. They swim around together in a group.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all. I think I am going to stick with livebearers and some cories....I may try to put more tetras in for my two BA tetras, but this time I will purchase them at a more adult size. Hindsight is 20/20.

Salt isn't 100% required for livebeares...they just do better and it prevents disease. I have java moss in my tanks with the salt ratio your using and its perfectly fine. It is of course an extremely hardy plant...I have yet to see fast growing though LOL

Back
Top Bottom