Optimal Water Change %

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a Python, so water changes are simple. What is the best % to take out every week of my 55g tank?

Nice - I've been doing 30% changes since I realized 15% wasn't enough during the cycling - my plan is to stay up on 'em and do at least two a month.

I don't have a Python so it's two 5 gallon buckets for me, which is 30ish% out of my 30g long tank. :D

20% here also. Well, that is just maintaing the tank. But during cycling, I do about 30% (with fish).

Ditto - I do a 30% on my 30g and will be doing about 20% on my 75g. Here's a hint in case you want to make sure of the amounts.

Remove and measure the amount of water you want and mark it in an obscure area on the tank. In the future, you can just stick the python in and wait until it reaches that level. :D I use my thermometer for this purpose.

If you replace 25% of the water once a week almost 45% of the water in your aquarium at any given time will have been there two weeks or less. That seems good to me.

Answers will always vary, but 25% is a good general number. Lightly stocked tanks could go longer, or lower %...heavily stocked tanks, or special care fish like Discus might need very frequent, large water changes.

Tony Starks said:
What is the best % to take out every week of my 55g tank?

Assuming your tank is cycled and has no ammonia or nitrite, whatever is minimally necessary to keep your nitrates low.

There isn't any firm number on how much you should change. Get a test kit and test for ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. If your tank is cycled and matured and properly filtered, ammonia and nitrites will be undetectable. At this point you need to change enough water often enough to keep your NITRATES within the low range.

best of luck,
Asaint

Back
Top Bottom