orange or yellow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for suggestions on cool yellow or orange fish. I have some platys and a goldfish in my 15 gallon who are all orange/yellow and a black molly with them. Soon though I'm moving the goldfish to a larger tank and I want my 15 gallon tank to become kind of a "halloween colors" themed tank. I wanna stick with non aggressive orange/yellow fish and black fish.

There are a lot of orange, yellow, and black colors in mollies, swordtails, platies. Red Velvet, Marigold, Pineapple to name a few. There are several different color variations including orange and black. Black neons are another docile black fish.

Although it may be tempting, avoid the clown loach (my avatar). His color patterns are exactly what you want, but 15 gallons is not enough and you need to have a group. However, Tiger Barbs are a minnow type fish that have a similar color variation as the clown loach. Tiger barbs are semi-aggressive, but mostly against slow moving fish with long fins like a betta. Reports are that they become less aggressive with the more you have.

Mollies and Platies are great for black or orange, respectively. If you're looking for one fish with both, Clown Killifish or Tiger Barbs possibly, but 15 gallons isn't a lot to work with there. I'd stick with Platies and Mollies, but you're going to want to make sure you have all virgin females or you'll get a population explosion.

The anal fin is fan shaped in females and larger the males have a narrow straight fin. This is true for all livebearer's.

I ended up getting 3 schenops mollies :)

I might get a male sailfin molly eventually, and sell the potential babies back to the pet store. who knows

They're pretty neat looking. They are black with white and gold speckles all over the body, and a bright yellow ventral (?) fin. I think there are pics of them if you google it. In the tank at the pet store there were only females. Mine were only $1.99 each

Oh, it's a coloration, not a fin type? They keep coming up with new color variations. I can't keep up with them.

Back
Top Bottom