Orange shoulder tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrasse326

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw an orange shoulder tang in a lfs the other day. I was really thinking about getting it. It had been in the store since the beginning of January. But it's tiny. Maybe an inch long. I have 150 gallon tank. I already have a scopas tang sailfin tang and blue eye kole tang. They are way bigger don't know if they would hurt the little bitty tang or not. I just recently got my sailfin tang and kole tang out of quarantine and put them with my scopas tang. They all love each other. They always swim together. The kole tang sleeps by himself but the scopas and sailfin share a cave at night. I will be quarantining the fish if I get it for at least a month. I don't know how fast he will grow though. What do you guys think should I get it?

What are the dimensions? At that size he'd be fine IMO. However they do get huge and would need a bigger tank down the line.

72" long by 27" tall by 18" wide. I plan on upgrading to at least a 240 eventually. What I'm mainly worried about right now is if my other tangs would bother him becuase he's so small. They aren't aggressive towards each other. I've got lots of caves made in the rocks I think he'd have enough hiding places

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You don't have any acanthurus genus tangs so it could possibly work out

Which ones are acanthurus genus?

None of the ones you have. Scopas and the sailfin are both zebrasoma and the kole is in the genus ctenocheatus.

Ok. Well I'm going to think about it. I did kind of want a powder blue tang. But I don't want too many tangs

I'd pick one or the other and then be done with tangs. The powder blue will stay a bit smaller than the orange shoulder but they're a bit meaner.

Which would you pick? I was planning on only one more tang. I like both of those a lot. Kind of want more color though. All three that I have are brown lol. But if powders blues are more aggressive then maybe I'd be better off with the orange shoulder

I love powder blues! They can be ich magnets though, definitely a more difficult tang so I'd probably go with the orange shoulder. They're really nice as well

Well I quarantine before putting in the tank. So he'd be treated for ich no matter what. That's a tough decision lol

Yeah definitely. Especially the powder and make sure it's eating if you get it. Well that's for both actually haha. The orange shoulder goes through a slight color change as it matures too if that influences your decision.

Yea the one in the store is yellow right now. He's so little and cute. He's been there over a month. I guess if I go in there in a week and he's still there I might go ahead and get them. Might ask of he's eating good too. The tags show what date they were shipped and it showed January 14th. I never see powder blues in any stores here.

Ugh I don't know! I really like powder blues. That was what I was thinking about before I saw the orange shoulder tang haha. I wish I had a 500 gallon tank haha

I would, orange shoulders are very cool tangs especially when they get big.

Haha don't we all, don't we all! Liveaquaria has a special on powder blues right now for $50 I think

I've only ordered a fish online once. A purple queen anthias from reefs to go. It didn't make it through the night. But that was before I quarantined and now I read those are pretty sensitive. I kind of like seeing the fish before I buy them. But I have heard good things about liveaquaria. But I guess if I go to the store in a week and he's still there I'll get him. If not I'll get a powder blue. I'll be really screwed if by then they get a powder blue and they still have him haha!

Ok I think I do want the orange shoulder tang. I do really like those and I wanna keep my tank aggressive free and so far everything that I have is pretty docile to each other. Besides my clownfish going after my hand if I put it near his corner haha

I'll post a pic of him when I get him. My boyfriend is buying him for me for our 6 year anniversary present. He gets paid next Monday though so I hope he's still there.

Back
Top Bottom