Orange Slice Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arclad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Orange Slices

I saw at a friends house a huge slice of orange that floated on the top of the tank. He said he saw it at PetSmart and I thought I would give it a try. Is this a good idea? Because I don't see any benefit for the fish other than it being food...What does the fish get out of the orange? Just curious.

Goldfish love the orange slices. Good for other plant eating species too. It is roughage for the digestive tract, nutrition, and they seem to think it tastes good? A nice dietary supplement.

My fish LOVE oranges. Did not know what to do with them the first time I gave them... Since then (esp the goldfish) they just munch down whenever I put one in. What do they get from it?? A nice change of pace from flake food. Just remember to take out the rind.. It gets soft and mushy and will cloud the water if you leave it in too long. I always do a water change after I take it out, just in case. Oh, my snails (brigs) like oranges too.

Musket said:
My fish LOVE oranges. Did not know what to do with them the first time I gave them... Since then (esp the goldfish) they just munch down whenever I put one in. What do they get from it?? A nice change of pace from flake food. Just remember to take out the rind.. It gets soft and mushy and will cloud the water if you leave it in too long. I always do a water change after I take it out, just in case. Oh, my snails (brigs) like oranges too.

The acid in it isn't harmful?

apparently not. Just don't leave it in too long.
haha look who's talking. I forgot about it once and left it in for 3 days. The rind got really mushy. I did a water change and all was fine.

Musket said:
apparently not. Just don't leave it in too long.
haha look who's talking. I forgot about it once and left it in for 3 days. The rind got really mushy. I did a water change and all was fine.

I have 5 danios,a betta and 3 panda cory's and 2 ADF think they will fare ok with a floating orange slice?

Well I saw my pleco come up and chow a few times, my betta too. I do not have cory's so I can't answer for sure. Can't hurt to try a few times. Remember, the first time I put it in they looked at me like "what am I supposed to do with That?" After the 2nd or 3rd time, they realized what it wa and what it was for. Yes, I put some in with my goldfish and adfrog. I don't think the frog had any, but the goldfish made short work of it.
I've put oranges in with my betta, angels, cichlids, lobster, mollies, guppies, swords, goldfish, snails. Everyone eventually tried it.

So acidic vitamin c doesn't effect anyone in the tank? What about PH?

Have got to admit I never tested the water after using oranges. But if you are only leaving them in a little while it shouldn't matter. I always left them in a day, sometimes two and when I leave them that long I do a water change so I have never had issues with it.

hmm... I don't know... This could be bad for the beneficial bacteria etc?

Resurgent said:
So acidic vitamin c doesn't effect anyone in the tank? What about PH?

the amount of acid in a single orange slice would be so dileted in a larger tank that you wouldnt even notice the pH change.

Hmm.. Now my question is how long have you been using oranges in the tank for?

I've been doing it for about 4-5 months. PetSmart does it weekly.. I use them every couple weeks. Unless I have oranges more often.

Wow thats alot of replys! I have started to use it already, it seems that they really do love it alot! I also believe that it's a great way for them to clean out their digestive tracks. I might try more fruit like Cantalope or some other fruit. I'll let you guys have a heads up on when I'm gonna try using more fruit.

I didn't heed your warning....I left the rind on too so now I have a 30 gallon tank cloudier than the skys over the East Coast these past few days. Is there anyway to clear the water? I read from places that to clear the water you have to control the nitrates in the water. I know for a fact that this problem is not about nitrates and it's just that I left the rind on the orange. Can anyone help me fix my mess?

hahahahaha sorry, it just came out. I did the same thing the first time I used oranges...
Yup, gotta do some water changes. And next time take them out after 12 hours. I still leave mine in for 24 usually, I check the progress.. Then I do a water change after removal..
Like how the rind turns to mush huh? hahahahaa sorry... just having flashbacks!

arclad, would love to hear your results. Keep us posted.. Remember not to leave it in too long.

Back
Top Bottom