Ordering Fish Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a thread earlier to get suggestions about what fish to buy for my 60 gal established tank. I need some middle swimmers. Locally I only have Pet Smart and didn't see anything there that would work.

Do people actually order fish on-line?

I've ordered almost everything online in the world from car parts to dog flea meds, but never a live animal/fish.

Is it safe? And who would you use?

Haven't ordered fish, but have successfully ordered live shrimp, snails, and plants. I wouldn't hesitate to try ordering fish if it came to it.

I've ordered lots of fish online with good luck. Best one by far is Wetspot. Great selection of fish and after maybe 20 orders, only once were a few fish DOA

I've ordered lots of fish online with good luck. Best one by far is Wetspot. Great selection of fish and after maybe 20 orders, only once were a few fish DOA
How do they ship them?

They ship them overnight in double plastic bags in a styrofoam container with a heating or cooling pad inside. Costs a bit to ship, but that's the way to get some really neat and unusual fish. Or at least the kinds you can't get at Petsmart

Find out who at PetSmart places the orders for fish. Have them check if thier supplier has the fish you want then have them add it to thier weekly order form.

Find out who at PetSmart places the orders for fish. Have them check if thier supplier has the fish you want then have them add it to thier weekly order form.
Thank you. I live in a house that doesn't get FedEx or UPS deliveries...heck even USPS won't/can't come to the house. So I have to rely on local stores.

Thank you. I live in a house that doesn't get FedEx or UPS deliveries...heck even USPS won't/can't come to the house. So I have to rely on local stores.

Have you tried having them hold the package at the nearest post office?( I know this won't include places like FedEx or ups but worth a shot)

I don't think many stores do that really. I've tried 3 different sets of Petco and petsmart around me and none of them will special order. Maybe I just live in a really crappy place :(

Only tried it once from Live Aquaria. One of nine fish DOA.
Five ended up with Ick.

Transportation is VERY stressful for the fish. If you decide to go
this route, I think a quarantine tank is pretty much mandatory.

I'm fortunate to have a few breeders around. They'll allow pick ups
from their business by appointment only. I guess I'm pretty lucky,
but only found this out by searching them out, and contacting them.
You'll probably pay premium shipping IF they'll ship. The ones I
have dealt with don't. Pick up only.

Great advice McFly! Thank you. I think I'll just do some research for pet/fish shops a little out of my very local circle and see what they have. Pet Smart is pathetic in their choices.

I don't think many stores do that really. I've tried 3 different sets of Petco and petsmart around me and none of them will special order. Maybe I just live in a really crappy place :(
My Petco does it. Seemed to make sense considering they have to order fish weekly anyways. Although, Petco owns live aquaria so I just check if live aquaria has the fish I want then I ask the person who is responsible for ordering supplies and fish to add a particular fish to the order. Maybe I got a cool employee here. Lol

Good advice here, only two things I never felt comfortable ordering online were fish and houseplants. Although looks like my fears were unwarranted. Gonna have to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom