Ordering fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about finishing off the stocking on my 55 with an order from an online distributor. Are there any places where you can request a certain sex of a fish?

I'm looking to get a pair of blue and bolivian rams, as well as obtaining the correct male-female ratio for my gourami.

I work in the LFS here, and I think I'm going to try and get the blue rams there as we have them in stock and I get a nice employee discount. But other than that, I'd just love to be able to have the simplicity of them being shipped to my door, rather than having to special order them through the LFS.

I know that Liveaquaria.com will work with you, but I use them for salt, not fresh. I believe if it is possible to tell the sex, without too much trouble, they would do it for you. I do know the one time I ordered fresh (Red Devils) from them I asked for 2 males and 2 females and that is what I got. If it requires a DNA test or something they won't do it however.

With the price of the fresh water fish being so low $8.99 each on their site - the shipping charge won't make any sense at all. I would cost/benefit anyalsis before you plunk down $40 for shipping and handling.

yeah ive been trying to find some blue rams and get 1 male and 2 females but no where local has them. I was considering liveaquaria.com as there prices are pretty good but you would need to order more fish to get your money worth outta shipping

Another idea, if you know of anyone that wants more fish, do a combined shipment. That will usually make shipping worth while.

oooor if you order an entire tank set up like i would need it would make shipping worth while : ) I just did my stocking list for my bow front, now if i could just start my job back.

Check Aquabid! They have knowledgeable breeders that can help you with the sex of the fish, and I've had nothing but luck ordering fish from there.

is aquabid realible? im just kinda sketchy about using it, just like ebay, im worried about getting screwed. But shipping wouldnt be any less from them than it would from aquabid would it?

I've had nothing but tremendous success using Aquabid. Just like Ebay, it helps to check the sellers feedback. I've ordered hillstream loaches, a Rio Jari pleco, and some Variatus platies on Aquabid and all fish are doing very well. The cost of shipping from each seller varies. As with any other fish website, they will only give you an arrive alive guarantee if you spring for overnight shipping. You have to check the shipping details on each individual auction.

Back
Top Bottom