Ornament Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris_topher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It seems I have problem after problem...

My new ornament, which is a freaking cool large replica of underwater tree roots, seems not so good anymore. I rinsed in warm water and placed in the aquarium. Im pretty sure I would have noticed it before if it was caused by something else, but after about a day or so, the water was just FULL of tiny little pieces of "hair" if you looked at the tank straight on. My betta was puffing his gills before I put this in (could be stress of tank change), but now he is puffing his gills constantly kind of like he's flaring and breathing at the same time. He's still swimming around and eating fine, its just you can see he has to swim and breathe in all the little "hairs". I took the ornament out shortly after I noticed, and placed it in a bucket of water to soak to get the rest off. After I emptied the bucket it was soaking in a day later, I could smell it quite strong, and the only thing I can relate the smell to is the fumes of modeling glue :( I don't know what to do. I did a partial water change it took some of the "hairs" out but there are still alot. I have another tank to work with as well if it comes to that, and I am considering returning the ornament even though it said "aquarium safe" on the label.

I feel bad for posting alot of other threads, its just fish and aquatic plant keeping is very hard and im basically on my own (I dont know anyone personally that has aquariums). Thanks in advance for opinions!

Do not for a moment feel bad for asking questions. That's why we are all here.

I would keep up the water changes, repeat as needed to get all those "Hairs" out.

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it before if it was caused by something else, but after about a day or so, the water was just FULL of tiny little pieces of "hair" if you looked at the tank straight on. .......he has to swim and breathe in all the little "hairs".
Sounds like the ornament may be made of fiberglass that was not cured properly. A few water changes should take care of the fibers. The fiberglass itself shouldn't be too bad. The resin is probably what was stressing the fish. Essentially your fish has been sniffing glue. Water changes should help with that too.

I am considering returning the ornament even though it said "aquarium safe" on the label.
I would probably return or exchange the item. You may have just gotten a bad one. Doubtful it would happen that often. If you exchange it, check the new one in water first.

I feel bad for posting alot of other threads, its just fish and aquatic plant keeping is very hard and I'm basically on my own (I dont know anyone personally that has aquariums). Thanks in advance for opinions!
Yes, you do. You now know everyone here at AA. Were all here to help out. When in doubt ask.

Reactions: cwt
Back
Top Bottom