Oscar breeding please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydavis

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi

i have two oscars both bought from my local pet store at 2 different times one is black and orange and the other one is albino (what they said). they have been locking lips and like biting at each other. so does that mean i have a male and female or what? does this mean it is a male/female pair and that they will lay eggs and if so how can you tell if the eggs are fertile. i have two fake plants in my take with about 1 inch of gravel my water temp. is 76 degrees. so is this good condition for breeding.
does anyone have any advice of suggestions on how to make them happier for laying eggs.:D

Last edited:
Umm.. how old are the fish?

What size are they?

Oscars can be mean! Probably just fighting!

not sure how old but one is about the lenght of the palm of my hand and the other is a tiny bit small than that and i am an average size 23 yr old female

they always stay together even while swimming around in the tank

When you post a reply click on the paperclip and attach the pic. If you dont see the paperclip go advanced.

ok here they are

ok here they are

Oscars 003.jpg this one has no name yet

Oscars 004.jpg this is groucho

It sounds like aggression and based on your pics, the albino is getting whooped. What size tank?

right now i have them in a 25 gallon tank

ok they are no bigger than the plam of my hand NOT including the finger the white one is a little bigger

one more question why do they have a hole in the above their eyes the albinos hole is bigger (more noticeable) than the black ones

cant see it in the pic. i would upgrade asap. one oscar needs 55-75 min gallons. while they might be small they need their space to grow. more so with the aggression you are having. what is your water readings?

the albinos top fin was like that when i bought it

i keep look on both fish for new marks but havent seen any yet

hole in head is said to be caused by unheathly food such as feeding them goldfish or unclean water. i would find the ammonia nitrate nitrite reading. start looking on craigslist for a bigger tank.

ok thanks very much what size do you get for the two of them full grown i might as well go ahead and get one will need

so what size tank do you sugguest to get for the two of them full grown i might as well get the one than than later

i would go with 100-120. 120 would prob be optimal. they get to be 13 inch or so plus known to be messy fish.

about what size are they when they start to mate

and the way they are acting dosent mean that they are male or female?

not sure how old but one is about the lenght of the palm of my hand and the other is a tiny bit small than that and i am an average size 23 yr old female

they always stay together even while swimming around in the tank

Thought there were only 2 fish???

there is only 2 of them what did i say that makes you believe there are more???

about what size are they when they start to mate

and the way they are acting dosent mean that they are male or female?
i think they need to be full grown or pretty close. the way they are acting means you have 2 territorial fish in a small space. they dont really have any room to their selfs in that tank.

Back
Top Bottom