Oscar in 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if they are raised together they will be fine 2-3 is not to much if bought small yes an upgrade might be needed in a couple years but chances are they will be fine trust me they dont grow as fast as you think i have 1 and they are not as aggressive as cichlids and they get along with other oscars fine

I'm sorry... But thats horrible advice. Oscars do grow very quickly in the right environment. Oscars *are* cichlids and are become very aggressive when they get older. It is NOT a good idea just to throw a bunch in a tank because they "grew up together" in a fish store- that may not even be true. They might have only been together for a few days at a fish store, having grown up in different tanks at the distribution center.

Yeah, a few oscars might be okay in a 60 young. But the risks outweigh the benefits. The likely hood of stunting and fighting occur would double with every additional oscar. One day you may come home to find that you waited entirely too long to upgrade to a larger tank and all but one oscar is dead. Or, you may upgrade and find that not only do your oscars not get much bigger, but they also die alot faster.

One oscar- 75 gallons.
Two Oscars - at least 95 gallons.
Three Oscars- 115 gallons

I've been working at a lfs for almost two years now, and I have seen first hand what happens when you put an oscar in too small of a tank, or what happens when you put too many tankmates in with an oscar. It usually ends pretty badly, for everyone involved.

Talvari said:
I'm sorry... But thats horrible advice. Oscars do grow very quickly in the right environment. Oscars *are* cichlids and are become very aggressive when they get older. It is NOT a good idea just to throw a bunch in a tank because they "grew up together" in a fish store- that may not even be true. They might have only been together for a few days at a fish store, having grown up in different tanks at the distribution center.

Yeah, a few oscars might be okay in a 60 young. But the risks outweigh the benefits. The likely hood of stunting and fighting occur would double with every additional oscar. One day you may come home to find that you waited entirely too long to upgrade to a larger tank and all but one oscar is dead. Or, you may upgrade and find that not only do your oscars not get much bigger, but they also die alot faster.

One oscar- 75 gallons.
Two Oscars - at least 95 gallons.
Three Oscars- 115 gallons

I've been working at a lfs for almost two years now, and I have seen first hand what happens when you put an oscar in too small of a tank, or what happens when you put too many tankmates in with an oscar. It usually ends pretty badly, for everyone involved.

I have 2 oscars and they r VERY aggressive, I bleed everytime I clean the tank!

Back
Top Bottom