Oscar Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! I have a 120g with a Red Oscar, Tiger Oscar, and a Common Pleco in it. I still want a couple more fish in the tank but don't know what's compatible. I want a Red Tail Barracuda or maybe a Bichir in there but I'm up for any suggestions.

I think your over stocked already

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really? Doesn't seem over stocked and other people on other sites have many more in their tank and are not over stocked at all.

That pleco is enough to stock the tank, add two Oscars to that yeah you're overstocked. They may not be very big, and other people on other unnamed sites may have more but that doesn't make it ok.

You have three of arguably the most poop producing fish in that tank. If you're looking for some more fish I humbly suggest remove the pleco, he's probably creating more poop per capita than the Oscars. If he isn't yet he will!

With him out of the equation you can *maybe* put some other fish in.

That pleco is enough to stock the tank, add two Oscars to that yeah you're overstocked. They may not be very big, and other people on other unnamed sites may have more but that doesn't make it ok.

You have three of arguably the most poop producing fish in that tank. If you're looking for some more fish I humbly suggest remove the pleco, he's probably creating more poop per capita than the Oscars. If he isn't yet he will!

With him out of the equation you can *maybe* put some other fish in.
Waste doesn't seem like too much of a problem as I have a 35g sump and well as 2 undergravel filters, but I could be wrong.

Waste doesn't seem like too much of a problem as I have a 35g sump and well as 2 undergravel filters, but I could be wrong.

I fully agree with the advice you been given.All 3 fish that you have are waste making machines and at some stage you may well have water quality issues.For those 3 fish I would recommend 200g plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At fully grown I agree the tank is maxed out. 2 12-14" Oscars will be all you can handle in a 120, (especially if it's a 4 foot tank?) I expect weekly 40-60 gallon changes to keep nitrates in the safe range.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the long run your issue is going to be nitrates and HITH or HLLE cant remember which is caused by high trates

Yup I agree. 2 Oscars will fill that tank with 2 50-100% water changes a week. Get rid of the under gravel filters. They are horrible for large messy fish.. Especially ones that dig.

Yup I agree. 2 Oscars will fill that tank with 2 50-100% water changes a week. Get rid of the under gravel filters. They are horrible for large messy fish.. Especially ones that dig.

Oscar expert right there. Glad to see your still around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oscar expert right there. Glad to see your still around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup still around. Although I have rehomed my wild caught Bahia red tail Oscar I had for the last few years to this guy with Joey, Matt. I'm from Joeys area.
https://youtu.be/zsLSi5fZbic
And I am now keeping discus. My 3 year old daughter has taken a liking to the aquarium and fish and enjoys feeding them. A large aggressive fish was worrisome around small fingers. Oscars may not have a nasty bite but to small fingers they can break easy. And Chaos was no joke, and meant business when things were around the tank lol. My daughter enjoys the discus eating from her hands much more then daddy telling her to "drop the food in quickly and move your hand back so he doesn't jump and grab your fingers"
My apologies to the OP for derailing the thread.

i had a Jack Dempsey with a Tiger Oscar... they seamed to got along fine up until a re-home both of them... they were were both probably pushing 5" before they left the tank cause of there size..

Back
Top Bottom