Otocinclus and Salt???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on buying 3 or 4 oto's for my 20 gallon because I need a little algae clean up crew. I have 6 Guppies in there currently and I have some salt in it as I know guppies like salt. Are the oto's compatible in my tank?

Salt isn't needed for a fw tank. Regular aquarium salt does nothing but add NaCl (sodium chloride) to the tank. Salt is used mainly to treat disease and to aid in nitrite poisoning.

I would do a few water changes before adding the oto's, and discontinue the use of salt on a regular basis.

If at all possible QT the ottos they are wild caught and can bring in all sorts of things to your tank. Don't expect them to eat algae wafers right away feed them some blanched broccoli or cucumber. Don't worry they will be hungry enough to take care of the algae to.

I had the salt for a while actually never used it and I only used it because I had thought it would only be benificial since it said it reduces stress, etc. I only used it once just recently on my last water change and the directions are to use 1 tablespoon per 10 gal, and I have a 20gal and I only used 1 tablespoon. I understand about the oto's, I do have algae in my tank, enough to be eaten for a little while, and I will feed them cucumber, etc.

I guess I will do some water changes before adding the oto's.

I have otos in two tanks that I use salt (about 1 tsp per gallon) in and they do just fine. I've found my fish are a little more friendly with each other if I use salt. Just thought I'd throw this in and stir the pot.

The most important thing with otos is to make sure they're not skinny. All my otos have a nice little white pot belly. If your otos are skinny, they're not getting enough food.

Back
Top Bottom