Otto Emergency!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few things id like to know on top of that are. Age of fish, water change schedule, how do you condition the water, size of tank and temp. Ive seen similar actions in oto's during osmotic shock. This is why i ask those questions.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started this thread to see if anyone knew how my otto died, and you guys aren't being very helpful with that.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bud I've learned a lot over 2 days, without water parameters no one can really tell you it could be nitrite, ammonia, Nitrate, ph that's why the test kit is not an option is a must, example : I've been treating my tank for a possible parasite when I've been testing my nitrates wrong, my level was well over 160 its supposed to be 10-20, fish keeping is expensive i don't even have really expensive fish i do have alot 25 in a 55 gallon , also filtration is very important but to make a long story short a test kit is an absolute must.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fish I've had for about five months, I do a 40 percent water change once a weak. I use aquascape water conditioner with BioExtract. The tank is kept at 80 degrees. My black molly is showing no signs of illness.

I don't think it was either of the things you told me to google, he didn't have sores, he just wasn't able to float.

Check out info on Osmotic shock. Maybe that has happened to him. Plus with your molly, not all fish are of the same hardiness. Oto's are more delicate than mollies.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe you're just not understanding, i do 30-50% changes every week with prime, gravel vac, i have a 55 gallon, 25 fish and my nitrate was through the roof.. Let me put this in different words, No matter weather you do a water change a week you do not know the parameters.. you only think your levels are good cause you use a conditioner, they aren't, from the pic i don't know if that's a separate tank but it has no substrate, what filter do you have , is the filter a cartridge style , does it have media, reason why i ask, with no substrate that's 20% of your beneficial bacteria, your filter is 80% if you have no media in your filter Where's the beneficial bacteria... You have asked for help on a forum, people have told you what you need but you assume everything's perfect cause you do water changes. At least tell people your setup

Update: i saw he was in a hospital tank so my fault on the no substrate, I'm on here for learning proposes and help as well, do you have to option to take it into a lfs that does testing ( not with the strips either, all lfs that uses the api liquid test kit)

Maybe you're just not understanding, i do 30-50% changes every week with prime, gravel vac, i have a 55 gallon, 25 fish and my nitrate was through the roof.. Let me put this in different words, No matter weather you do a water change a week you do not know the parameters.. you only think your levels are good cause you use a conditioner, they aren't, from the pic i don't know if that's a separate tank but it has no substrate, what filter do you have , is the filter a cartridge style , does it have media, reason why i ask, with no substrate that's 20% of your beneficial bacteria, your filter is 80% if you have no media in your filter Where's the beneficial bacteria... You have asked for help on a forum, people have told you what you need but you assume everything's perfect cause you do water changes. At least tell people your setup

Chill out. He mentioned the Otto in the pic was in a hospital tank and spirit hawk is replying and answering all questions asked. I know your just trying to help but it came off kinda mean.

Chill out. He mentioned the Otto in the pic was in a hospital tank and spirit hawk is replying and answering all questions asked. I know your just trying to help but it came off kinda mean.

Wasn't meaning it that way, i did update my post. If he was in my state i would buy him one

You should look up mycobacterium marinumor* or M. fortuitum fish tuberculosis
NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!
Be very careful throwing out diagnosis.....

I started this thread to see if anyone knew how my otto died, and you guys aren't being very helpful with that.

Sorry for your oto.
They are tough to keep.
They should be last added to an established tank.
Without parameter it is impossible to say.
I don't feel he died from any disease but more stress(most are wild caught) and being introduced to an improper environment.

And in case everyone else missed the oto died 5 days ago.

Wasn't meaning it that way, i did update my post. If he was in my state i would buy him one

I know, I knew you were just trying to help, its all good. Wording is tough on here, most times if you were just speaking to someone it wouldn't come off that way at all, its just tough giving constructive advice through text.

Yeah this app needs voice assistance lol, no bud heck im in here for help to as I'm a beginner as well, i just know testing water is important so is temperature matching

By the way Potluck, that is a hospital tank. My regular tank has 2 inches of sand, and an adequate filter with media.

Also an anubis plant and bamboo stalk.

Okay friend just was trying to help sorry about your Otto

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!
Be very careful throwing out diagnosis.....

Sorry for your oto.
They are tough to keep.
They should be last added to an established tank.
Without parameter it is impossible to say.
I don't feel he died from any disease but more stress(most are wild caught) and being introduced to an improper environment.

And in case everyone else missed the oto died 5 days ago.
So you are saying that fish tb doesn't cause bent spine?
Plus even if it is wrong, I didn't give him a diagnosis, I said he should look at it and see if it fits

So you are saying that fish tb doesn't cause bent spine?
Plus even if it is wrong, I didn't give him a diagnosis, I said he should look at it and see if it fits

Not meant to be an argument but such a "suggestion" should be carefully thought out.
Too many disease can cause curved spine to let that alone be the only symptom considered......

Not meant to be an argument but such a "suggestion" should be carefully thought out.
Too many disease can cause curved spine to let that alone be the only symptom considered......
I understand that, but here is a quote, " Early signs are emaciation in fish, especially a wasting of flesh and muscle tissues in the top half of the body, leading to a knife-backed appearance. Abdominal distension is another classic sign, along with spinal deformities...".

With otos being more fragile than most other fish, why not at least consider the possibility it would die before the lesions appear or any of the other symptoms?

We also understand that it died, he asked, afterwards, for help to prevent his other fish from getting it(whatever it is) and how to treat it in case the fish did come down with it.

I understand that, but here is a quote, " Early signs are emaciation in fish, especially a wasting of flesh and muscle tissues in the top half of the body, leading to a knife-backed appearance. Abdominal distension is another classic sign, along with spinal deformities...".

With otos being more fragile than most other fish, why not at least consider the possibility it would die before the lesions appear or any of the other symptoms?

We also understand that it died, he asked, afterwards, for help to prevent his other fish from getting it(whatever it is) and how to treat it in case the fish did come down with it.

PM sent.

Back
Top Bottom