Otto Emergency!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to spirithawk otos should be kept in a school and they are a Catfish which is very intolerant to salt, so I hope you weren't using it for the Molly. Which would make sense with osmotic shock

I doubt it was the cause, but for future info single Otos often die easier IME.

I prefer to keep at least 3 in 10g or larger. 6 Otos or more is ideal.

And yes, Otos like diff water than Mollies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... I'll admit an otto wasn't a very good idea in the first place. He was an impulse buy, before I knew much about them.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you reccoment an algae eater better suited to my tank?

Ps, my bamboo stalk isn't fully submerged... it's much too tall for that!

Attachments

• 1446788126702.jpg
    1446788126702.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 36
Ok thanks I'll look into it

Nerites do need to be fed once they eat the Algae or they'll starve. It's better to not get algae. My tanks grow very little algae. A lot of algae is a sign of imbalance. One of the easiest things you can do is to buy a timer for the light and do not leave the light on longer than six hours a day total.

Do you have a larger tank for the Molly ? I prefer 30g or larger for them as they are very active, big eaters and poop machines.

For a 5g consider starting over ( not tearing down tank )just fish wise and look at better long term choices for a 5g.

A. buy a master test kit you can find them on sale. Amazon has them for $22API Freshwater Master Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NCI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gOepwb4VX03BT

B. GOOD stocking choices are very limited.
1. a male Betta OR
2. a Cherry Shrimp tank
3. When in doubt add more plants [emoji106]?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446791827.619732.jpg

Nerites do need to be fed once they eat the Algae or they'll starve. It's better to not get algae. My tanks grow very little algae. A lot of algae is a sign of imbalance. One of the easiest things you can do is to buy a timer for the light and do not leave the light on longer than six hours a day total.

Do you have a larger tank for the Molly ? I prefer 30g or larger for them as they are very active, big eaters and poop machines.

For a 5g consider starting over ( not tearing down tank )just fish wise and look at better long term choices for a 5g.

A. buy a master test kit you can find them on sale. Amazon has them for $22API Freshwater Master Test Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NCI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gOepwb4VX03BT

B. GOOD stocking choices are very limited.
1. a male Betta OR
2. a Cherry Shrimp tank
3. When in doubt add more plants [emoji106]?

View attachment 280210

There are lots of options for a 5 gallon, just look at the wide array of nano fish available. Many more options than betta, shrimp, or plants...

There are lots of options for a 5 gallon, just look at the wide array of nano fish available. Many more options than betta, shrimp, or plants...
nano's are awesome but they are expensive, he stated he didn't have alot of money, but i agree nano reefs are amazing

nano's are awesome but they are expensive, he stated he didn't have alot of money, but i agree nano reefs are amazing

Na Bruh. Any reef is expensive. Just a nano planted tank is hardly more than a standard nano. If you go cheap or DIY it doesn't have to be much. A lot of people like myself just like the fancy LEDs and stuff.

Caleb

But not all Nano fish are easily available or suitable for a tank that's not "dialed in". Plus they cost more.

Micro Rasboras sp are awesome.
CPDs are great. But they prefer heavily planted tanks with pristine water.

Nano sp are def a better choice than a Molly. But without testing water, they can easily die.

Na Bruh. Any reef is expensive. Just a nano planted tank is hardly more than a standard nano. If you go cheap or DIY it doesn't have to be much. A lot of people like myself just like the fancy LEDs and stuff.

Caleb

Yeah i was looking to set one up in a 5 gallon Aquarium i got from a buddy still in the box, had a marineland bio wheel filter was a night combo starter tank , i agree you can DYI, but the fish are crazy expensive but will worth it if cared for id like one in my nightstand to just lay and watch is relaxing. But heck i have enough issues with my big aquarium and smaller aquariums are harder to take care of

I don't find my small tanks more difficult at all. But mine are heavily planted. I am experienced and I don't overfeed.

I do weekly water changes and I do test water a lot when tank is new or Ive added new fish.

I'm currently running a 10 with CPDs and Cory pygmaeus and RCS.

I just restarted two 5.5g and will be resetting my rimless 10g. My Nanos are all in my bedroom. Temp stays stable. No heaters so far. Will be adding heat to one as I'll be adding a Betta to the bow front 5.5g

All my tanks need resets as far as plants and hard scape. I've just moved so, I'm just now getting to them.

My ramblings are to say...if you have a small tank go for it. If you want Nano fish or Shrimp just take a little more care about testing and water changes. And always have live plants.

The OP said he didn't have money for test kit...that's why I recommended lower budget appropriate stock.

I'm setting up a new/used 55g in my livingroom. Haven't had a big tank in years.
I love Crypts for lowlight tanks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446848263.866725.jpg

Lol i just did my 1st 25% PWC this week another one in a couple days.. Lol i couldn't find this guy in 6 months thought he was ate.. he's a ninja or thinks he is.. Bumblebee cat i believe

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1446861421905.jpg
    1446861421905.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1446861437668.jpg
    1446861437668.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 48
Lol i just did my 1st 25% PWC this week another one in a couple days.. Lol i couldn't find this guy in 6 months thought he was ate.. he's a ninja or thinks he is.. Bumblebee cat i believe

I had a Raphael catfish disappear for a few months. Thought for sure he was gone. Came in one night after lights out and found him roaming and he had grown a good 2 inches.

Caleb

Yeah this little guy was super small when i got him about 1/4 inch maybe 1/2 Max, he hides everywhere don't know if it's because they are nocturnal or just shy

Back
Top Bottom