Outdated Fish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hacket

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should you throw away outdated fish food? Or is it safe to give to fish for a while after the date? I bought a large container of bloodworms like 2 years ago and my bettas have hardly scratched the surface...since they don't eat too much. I thought I would have used more and it seems like a waste to throw so much away.

I'm going to buy a small container next time.

freeze dried will go stale over time due to oxygen contamination.

Its easier to buy the frozen cubes in your case. I keep mine in a tupperware container( this is while still in he package) with a little bit of baking soda in with it to prevent it from going bad over time.

How outdated is it? In your case I dont think it will matter much, they cant go rotten unless they get wet.

They just went bad last month. I've had them for a year and a half. How long now would you recommend using them before throwing them out?

Do they smell bad? when they start to smell different toss em.

They have bloodworms in cubes for like 5 bucks 3.5oz from hikari avail at petsmart.
I suggest those, my bettas LOVED that food. Frozen is healthier anyways,

I could not find the Hikari frozen bloodworm cubes at my "local" PetSmart.....If you order them online, will they stay frozen?

P.S. You are only supposed to feed your bettas bloodworms as a treat, not a normal meal. Thankfully I have 8 other fish that also eat bloodworms lol.

They should have them, they are staple product.

I feed em alot of different stuff, I got a dorm size fridge thats a full freezer instead thats full of frozen foods. Then there is the cupboard with flakes,pellets,wafers and freeze dried.

It stays frozen or your money back.

I go thru bio-aquatics.com when I order online, 10# minimum freakin dirt cheap prices.

How do they smell? Lol. Well they smell like fish food. I'd have to say they haven't changed much in smell since I bought them. But the frozen stuff that you buy stays good forever? Or have you had to throw anything away?

Back
Top Bottom