Over stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveAfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering if I was over stocked. I know the rule of thumb is 1inch if fish needs 1 gallon of tank but I am not sure how that applies to snails or ghost shrimp.
3 tetras at 1.5 inches = 4.5 gallons
2 platys at 2 inches = 4 gallons
2 ghost shrimp at 1.5 inches = 2 gallons?
2 mystery snail at 1 inch = 2 gallon?
Total = 14.5

I have a ten gallon tank and with this method I need an extra four and a half gallons. I am just wondering if this is ok?

The inch per gallon rule is really outdated. Really doesn't even make sense IMO. Using bioload is a way more accurate measure of determining an overstocked tank. For example, the platys in your tank are going to get big and make more waste than tetras so they are a big part of your bioload. Also, tetras are schooling fish. I recommend getting a couple more to make them happy. And lose the platys unless you can upgrade your tank, they'll get too big for the tank. Other than that you'll be fine. Use Aqadvisor.com to calculate your stocking level.

The inch per gallon rule is really outdated. Really doesn't even make sense IMO. Using bioload is a way more accurate measure of determining an overstocked tank. For example, the platys in your tank are going to get big and make more waste than tetras so they are a big part of your bioload. Also, tetras are schooling fish. I recommend getting a couple more to make them happy. And lose the platys unless you can upgrade your tank, they'll get too big for the tank. Other than that you'll be fine. Use Aqadvisor.com to calculate your stocking level.

^^^ bingo, all correct. Shrimp and snails really don't count towards bio load either

What species of Tetras ? Some are too active and get too large for a 10g.

10g stocking is tricky for long term health. I prefer Shrimp or Nano species that stay 1" or so. Like Celestial Pearl Danios. They do prefer heavily planted tanks, but are so pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What about some zebra danios

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd stay away from zebra danios, they like a large area in which to swim.

^^^ bingo, all correct. Shrimp and snails really don't count towards bio load either

I do not agree in that Shrimp and Snails don't count towards the biological load of the water as all marine animal poops. I have heard of snails trailing some poop (in a friend's tank). I just got into snails so still to confirm.

Please use AqAdvisor as a guide.

Here is a way to see your load: your tetras will take the middle to top part of the tank. Platty's too. And Shrimp are mainly at the bottom. I didn't forget the snail as they are wherever they want to be (that one is from experience as one of mine went over a divider into the other side).

Please increase the size of the Tetra school. Depending on the kind of Tetra, they may still require a bigger tank.

I cannot speak to the Platty's nor will I do the research for you, but you should have a better idea now that the tank may not be overstocked, but you need to consider what the fish needs and not necessarily what you want.

Yes, all animals produce waste but a 1in red cherry or ghost shrimp compared to a 1in tetra produces a lot less waste. One reason why you can a lot more shrimp in a smaller tank then fish (not factoring in swimming room and such) snails are the same way depending breed, they just don't put off enough waste to be a major factor

A friendly reminder: Shrimp can grow to about 3" as well as some snails.

Red cherry shrimp are some of the most common shrimp and are a dwarf neocardina they reach up to 1.6 inches. Common ghost shrimp grow around the same size at 1.5inches. A very general term with shrimp can reach 3in. Best to give info on exact species though in order to help the person with stocking their tank properly. Now if they choose a snail like an apple snail that can reach 6in, that would cause a problem with bio load and such but a smaller snail such as some type of nerite, it would work much better

Just for comparison when I started my RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) tank I started with 15 Shrimp. I ended up with 100 healthy thriving RCS in my 10g tank. You could not have 100 fish in that size tank. My males are smaller than females. I also had a bunch of MTS (snails) and some Otos
49eb843f19385cc6c6f54cda8eacf7b4.jpg

They were in a heavily planted tank. Once I introduced fish my colony stabilized at about 30 RCS.

306becc5e32dbbe37ec786e11aaa6699.jpg
50a287fe032bda4a2aac79e6a1496bc7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom