Overflow size for 65 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Twenty5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am gettign a custom 65 gallon 36x18x24 and wanted to run about 1,000-1,200 GPH flow...I was going to go with a 4x5x4 overflow with durso pipe into a 1" drain ...I am now thinking I need to go with a 1.5" drain and a bigger overflow...I plan to run a Mag 12 or 1800 pumping into 2 3'4 return back into the tank. The tank is a short tank so didn't know if it would make sense to hav a big center overflow or on overflow on each side with 1" drains...what do you guys think?

If you can put the pump outside the sump, then I would sugest a
Iwaki wmd-40rx(t). They don't generate heat in the water like the in sump water cooled pump such as the mag drive.

:onfire:

I would go with two 1" drain lines. I have an overflow thats rated for 1200GPH and its got two 1" drain lines going down to the sump.

i would go with the 1.5, it would be a nightmare to to upgrade from 1 to 1.5 if you ever needed to. The bigger the outlet the better and at the end of the day the water can only get out and the speed of the pump returning it!!

HTH
dan

Back
Top Bottom