Overstocked and not in control!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piggypie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad's girlfriends daughter brought home 3 goldfish in a half gallon. After months of me changing the water as often as I could I finally convinced my dad to get them AT LEAST a 2.5 gallon and bubble filter. One of the fish died in transition, so the little tank was overstocked, but was way better than before. Today (about a month later) her and her friend brought home 8 more goldfish and a guppy to put in the same tank! :( I think I can get the 10 goldfish into an old 5 gallon of mine and leave the guppy in the 2 gallon so it doesn't get choked out by all the ammonia, but I can't get to it for a few days. What should I do? ...what CAN I do? :(

Wait till everyone is out of the house take all the fish out and run them down to the fish shop when they get home tell them they all died you get store credit and your saving there life :)

Seriously though... :( is there anything I can do, or should I just try to let it go 'cause they aren't even my fish...?

Trying to educate them is about the only thing you can do.

Bingo.

It is unfortunate that a living thing needs to suffer but sometimes people need to learn the hard way too. Demonstrate how important it is to do frequent PWCs and then show the daughter how to do it herself, that way she can understand the work involved in keeping something alive. Then show her and your dad online literature about correct conditions for keeping goldfish (tank size, temp, diet, water quality, etc). Good luck!

Get some hard core facts present them and keep educating tell them that death is definatly on the way if nothing is done soon

Show them that stick thread in coldwater fish about why goldfish need bigger tanks

Wait till everyone is out of the house take all the fish out and run them down to the fish shop when they get home tell them they all died you get store credit and your saving there life :)

Actually im serious this is what you needto do

Actually im serious this is what you needto do

^x2. If they won't listen when you tell them what the fish need, even after seeing those threads, taking them back to the fish store and telling your family they died is the only happy ending those fish are going to have.

Oh wow we posted about that thread seconds of each other XD XD

Great minds think alike :)

+1, and have all the info at home for when she comes back.. If not humane to treat fish like that, and they will die quickly..

Yeah what i learned is people do t care about how the fish feel, just how cool they look. I tried to talk some idiots out of buying 2 oscars and 3 angelfish for there 10g and they wouldnt listen.....very stubborn mean people.....no one ever listens with how there fish are stocked.

^x2. If they won't listen when you tell them what the fish need, even after seeing those threads, taking them back to the fish store and telling your family they died is the only happy ending those fish are going to have.

Great minds think alike :)

But you should do it a little at a time like
1 or 2 fish per trip

Yeah what i learned is people do t care about how the fish feel, just how cool they look. I tried to talk some idiots out of buying 2 oscars and 3 angelfish for there 10g and they wouldnt listen.....very stubborn mean people.....no one ever listens with how there fish are stocked.

That makes me very sad :-( we all make mistakes, especially when we begin.. But when you know you are hurting them and keep on doing it.. That awfull..

Back
Top Bottom