Overstocked or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just finished my 29gal with AC50 stocking last night and I'm thinking I possibly went a little overboard...
I had two opalines gouramis, a red flame dwarf gourami, a black neon, 4 neons, snail, bristlenose albino pleco, and a bamboo shrimp.
I added 3 julii corys, and 3 bloodfin tetras and a penguin tetra.
I'm starting to worry that I might have overstocked....what do you guys think?
Btw I HAD three black neons but lost two during an ick outbreak and petco didn't have anymore so I added a penguin but he is sticking with the regular neons.

How big is your tank? Watch the opaline gourami with the other fish. They are aggressive anyway, and if you add feeling cramped, they will be the first to go after he other fish.

Oops duh sorry should've added that. Its a 29gal.
My opalines have been good except between each other! The female chases the male back to his corner all the time. Recently added a thread about that.

Just finished my 29gal with AC50 stocking last night and I'm thinking I possibly went a little overboard...
I had two opalines gouramis, a red flame dwarf gourami, a black neon, 4 neons, snail, bristlenose albino pleco, and a bamboo shrimp.
Btw I HAD three black neons but lost two during an ick outbreak and petco didn't have anymore so I added a penguin but he is sticking with the regular neons.

I don't think 2 opalines will work out in a 29g. It's a bit small for them. I could see aggressiveness between them and the dwarf gourami. Instead of doing one black neon and four neons just do 6 black neons. I couldn't see him thriving. Bristlenose pleco is fine, once again boost the Cories up to a higher number and leave it at that.

Your problem isn't overstocked, its the fish you have not meeting their requirements. For example, gouramis-1 per tank. Penguin terra, bloodfin, Cory's,neons, black neons, all schooling fish. Cory's need at least 4 and tetras 6.. I day take back 2 gouramis, all tetras excpet or 2 species and get them to 8 and then get 3 more corys

I'd return the opalines. Keep the dwarf if you want. Add another cory. Pick either the bloodfins or penguins and up their school to 6.

By the way did you add all of these fish at once? Was the tank cycled to start with? If so you may have some work ahead of you. Even if the tank was already cycled adding so many fish at once is going to cause problems; if it wasn't fully cycled it's going to make things worse. Here's a link for you: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
and Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Okay....hmm....I've had such a huge mixture of advice given to me Re: the opalines.
Yes my tank is cycled and has been running about 6 months.
I've not heard of only one gourami per tank so far though.
I do know that the dwarf was not supposed to go in with the two opalines though but that was quite a while ago and we haven't had any problems so far.
Anyways....I also was told 3+ corys lol so this is why I chose three. I've had 4 neons all along and the black neon was left over from his school after my ick outbreak.
So...I'm not overstocked but I have picked all of my fish wrong....
Petco does not help when I ask about compatibility.
Grrrrrr! Frustrated now.
The only fish I can return at this point are the bloodfins, penguin, and corys. I will have to adopt out the rest.
I'm not sure WHAT to do.

Many people will say that cories don't need schools, but those people haven't properly researched the care for cory cats. 4 would be a bare minimum. 6+ is even better. I feel like having all those gouramis will eventually end badly. Return either the bloodfins or the penguins, and make a school of six with the one you keep. Also get more black neons, at least five. He definitely won't do well alone.

Well we have been discussing getting more tanks...so lets say I get a 10gal. Would it be okay for the flame dwarf gourami to go in there with a school of the tetras? Or is that too small?

A ten gallo can comfortably fit a dg and tetras. Hiwever not all tetras. Neons are iffy. Some say too active, some say ok. A stock like
1 dg
6 small tetras
3 otos is appropriats

Thanks for the info. I actually just saw an ad on CL for two 20's...one of which comes with heater & filter for $15....thinking about scooping up this deal and adding to the second 20G little by little.

That be great! Just be wary about the items you get. The filter and heater may be crap. Either way, beats any tank sale at petco!

Back
Top Bottom