Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
15g freshwater

1 dwarf emerald gourami
3 zebra danios
2 peppered cories
2 oto catfish
2 ghost shrimp

Water params are stable, completely cycled, weekly 20-30% WCs.

Personally, I think I'm kinda pushing it, though they've all be happy and healthy for the past 2 months.

Am I overstocked? Space for 2 more danios and/or 1 Cory to make their schools more ideal?

15g freshwater

1 dwarf emerald gourami
3 zebra danios
2 peppered cories
2 oto catfish
2 ghost shrimp

Personally, I think I'm kinda pushing it, though they've all be happy and healthy for the past 2 months.

Am I overstocked? Space for 2 more danios and/or 1 Cory to make their schools more ideal?

IMO the Oto's might be the only thing that might be pushing it. I might be wrong tho.

I think you are good. the danios like more room to swim but I think they will be ok in there. Go ahead and bumb up the schools though.

zach_1_6 said:
i would add more danios and another cory, and some more shrimp, then you should be stocked :)

Alright, cool. Thanks all! Would the 2 danios I suggested be sufficient

Also, ccross, why would the otos be pushing it? Just curious why you'd think so. Wanna make everyone's home as good as possible. :)

College Kid said:
15g freshwater

1 dwarf emerald gourami
3 zebra danios
2 peppered cories
2 oto catfish
2 ghost shrimp

I think Its aqaquarium where you can input all info, it's very informative on stocking, whether or not everyone will get along, preferable temp for everyone. My only ,complaint is that it is based off of adult sizes but that can be changed.

If you have a planted tank, I think 3 otos will work. I have 3 in a 10 and they are chubby, but I have a lot of plants and extra tidbits floating around because it's a fry tank too.

What I've heard on here and other places is that one is ok in a 10 but they need 3 in a group and 3 won't fit in a 10. Generally I've been told 3 won't work in a ten because there won't be enough algae etc for them without supplementing their diet. So I give them some veggies and wafers here and there and honestly they are fat and happy. So there is my experience!

VioletEmber said:
What I've heard on here and other places is that one is ok in a 10 but they need 3 in a group and 3 won't fit in a 10. Generally I've been told 3 won't work in a ten because there won't be enough algae etc for them without supplementing their diet. So I give them some veggies and wafers here and there and honestly they are fat and happy. So there is my experience!

Yeah! They cleaned out all my algae in a day or two. Im supplementing their diet with "marine algae" (dried seaweed). I tried blanched veggies, but they never touched it. I don't even see them eat the seaweed (though everything else in my tank does), but they have nice green poo, so they're eating something.

Yeah! They cleaned out all my algae in a day or two. Im supplementing their diet with "marine algae" (dried seaweed). I tried blanched veggies, but they never touched it. I don't even see them eat the seaweed (though everything else in my tank does), but they have nice green poo, so they're eating something.

lol, my otos hate my cooking. one thing I learned from this forum is that otos are one of the only fish that you want to have a chubby little potbelly. i just keep an eye on them - if they look like me after thanksgiving dinner then I guess they are getting enough!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom