Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malupoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, I just added a few fish to my 35g tank and thought I would chuck my numbers into aqadvisor.
It came out rather overstocked and was wondering if you guys thought it was over.

35g planted tank-

6x endler guppies
7x guppies
9x neon tetra
3x hasbrosus cory
Innumerable cherry shrimp.

Thanks for the help.

Oh and all the guppies are male!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hardly overstocked... Guppies and neons are tiny fish.. I have more fish in all my tanks and im fine. Just do bigger water changes to keep nitrates down

Off the top of my head it's 60 x 45 x 50cm

It's fine

Sounds okay as long as you're using a filter and doing water changes. Make sure you typed everything into the website correctly maybe it was just a mis-click :)

Aqadvisor will view guppys as heavy stockers. They are little poo machines. I think that stock sounds fine assuming your keeping up on maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

Hello Mal...

You have the fish in, so the overstocked question is moot. 35 gallons is a decent sided tank, so all that's required is keeping the tank water toxin free. To do this, you get the fish and plants used to large, weekly water changes. 50 percent isn't too much. By removing and replacing this much water every week there's no time for pollutants to build to toxic levels before you remove them by changing the water. Pretty easy.

I would add some floating plants. Hornwort is excellent. It will further filter the tank water and even the fish in an overstocked tank will be healthy.

B

Hello Mal...

You have the fish in, so the overstocked question is moot. 35 gallons is a decent sided tank, so all that's required is keeping the tank water toxin free. To do this, you get the fish and plants used to large, weekly water changes. 50 percent isn't too much. By removing and replacing this much water every week there's no time for pollutants to build to toxic levels before you remove them by changing the water. Pretty easy.

I would add some floating plants. Hornwort is excellent. It will further filter the tank water and even the fish in an overstocked tank will be healthy.

B

How is it moot? What?÷ you can remove the fish haha. Not like they're bound to the tank for all eternity...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would add 10 more Corys.

Unless the OP wants to use corys as a centerpiece to the bottom of the tank, I think that 2-3 more would be enough to make them more comfortable.

Aqadvisor.com is very helpful in determining appropriate stocking levels. It shouldn't be treated as gospel, but it's a good approximation.

By most accounts of people who keep the dwarf Corys, they do best in a large group. I don't think a dozen 1 inch fish are hardly a centerpiece.... That's just a normal size school one should strive to keep.

Aqadvisor is extremely conservative with their stocking percentages. As it should be, considering that those who use the tool to determine their stocking are typically new to the hobby. Too, it does not take experience into account so the "advice" given is for the lowest common denominator.

By most accounts of people who keep the dwarf Corys, they do best in a large group. I don't think a dozen 1 inch fish are hardly a centerpiece.... That's just a normal size school one should strive to keep.

I didn't realize that those were Venezuelan pygmys. So, yes, the OP could add a lot more corys without limiting options for other ground-dwelling speces. (Their normal school size is often more than a dozen, though. Sometimes a hundred or more.)

Aqadvisor is extremely conservative with their stocking percentages. As it should be, considering that those who use the tool to determine their stocking are typically new to the hobby. Too, it does not take experience into account so the "advice" given is for the lowest common denominator.

The calculations they make assume that (1) you're doing a once-per-week water changes and (2) your fish are full size (you can program the sizes of immature fish if you choose). Of course, experienced aquarists know how to "enlarge" their tanks with the tricks of the trade (more frequent/larger WCs, use of nitrate-sponging plants like Hornwort, etc.). But for beginners, Aqadvisor is great.

I didn't realize that those were Venezuelan pygmys. So, yes, the OP could add a lot more corys without limiting options for other ground-dwelling speces. (Their normal school size is often more than a dozen, though. Sometimes a hundred or more.)

The calculations they make assume that (1) you're doing a once-per-week water changes and (2) your fish are full size (you can program the sizes of immature fish if you choose). Of course, experienced aquarists know how to "enlarge" their tanks with the tricks of the trade (more frequent/larger WCs, use of nitrate-sponging plants like Hornwort, etc.). But for beginners, Aqadvisor is great.

Cory schools in the wild can be thousands strong. I just meant in the aquarium. I'm not one to debate what a "minimum school" is, because I don't particularly care. In my opinion if you can only fit the "minimum" in your tank, then the fish are too big. I honestly don't understand people's (general, no one specific) obsession with providing the bare minimums for their fish. They're so much more enjoyable to watch when kept in larger schools in larger tanks with room to swim.

I do agree that aqadvisor is great for beginners, but one needn't be all that experienced to exceed 100%. I've just been seeing a heavier and heavier reliance on it. On some sites it's the bible of stocking, with people legitimately concerned about reaching 100% so 80% is recommended. Of course people can always add more fish, which they are almost sure to do with an 80% stocked tank. But it's a shame to see people cutting back a couple fish from this school, a couple from that, in order to keep their stocking under 100% when 100% is no where near fully stocked.

You have plenty of room for more

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The corys are the survivors of a nasty parasite that wiped out my stock a few months ago. I have only just started restocking again.
I was unsure whether I would increase the group size or pass on the cory.

But now someone reminded me they are from Venezuela I think I will keep them as I have the Venezuelan endlers :)

Tank is already pretty heavily planted and so have never had a issue with my water chemistry

Back
Top Bottom