overstocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilameba

Aquarium Advice Activist
2 glassfish
1 rainbow shark
1 three spotted gourami
1 dwarf gourami
3 mollies under one inch
1 clown loach (two inches)
3 goldfish(2.5 inches)
1 male guppy
1 small female guppy
2 emerald shiners

too much for a 64 gallon?

this is still up for answers!! is this too many fish for this tank?

Is there any chance you could leave out the clown loach and the goldfish? Clown loaches get quite large and prefer to be in groups, so they aren't really suitable for a 64 gallon. Goldfish are coldwater fish and shouldn't be kept with tropicals.

Toss the idea of the goldies as they are coldwater fish and will quickly outgrow your tank. Don't get a dwarf gourami as most, if not all of the stock has a disease that kills them. Either don't get the guppies or get 1 male and 3 females as that one female will get harrassed by the male which will stress it until it eventually dies of stress.

I agree with both above Dwarf Gouramis are trouble right now and a big no to the goldfish and I would shy away from the clown loach in that size tank.

this is my current tank -_-'
i had 6 guppies, go figure, most died.
the goldfish are only in there until i can get another place for them. the clown loach was going to be a weather loach but there were none and the pet store only said they got to be 8 inches... dont lecture me for impulse buying it was a now or never type thing.
the dwarf gourami yo cant blame me for. i researched my butt off before buying one but it was not until AFTER the return time ended that i found out that they carry the disese thing. and also i dont mean to be argumentative but goldies are pretty darn aaptable and do fine at least for awhile in there, its unheated anyway but like i said its only until i find another place for them so no problem. im talking about how much fish.

No one's lecturing, but you did ask for opinions. ;) Research pays off well in this hobby.

You asked our opinions we gave you them and no one was lecturing and you were misinformed to they can get 12-14 inches and like to be in groups.

yeah, i guess i didnt mean it like that! so sorry to insult anyone! yes i know it pays off ive learned that lesson verywell by now! thanks everyone...but no answers to my question yet...

Unfortunately, your stock list is not compatible and it would be best to find new homes for some of the fish.

this is my current tank -_-'
i had 6 guppies, go figure, most died.
the goldfish are only in there until i can get another place for them. the clown loach was going to be a weather loach but there were none and the pet store only said they got to be 8 inches... dont lecture me for impulse buying it was a now or never type thing.
the dwarf gourami yo cant blame me for. i researched my butt off before buying one but it was not until AFTER the return time ended that i found out that they carry the disese thing. and also i dont mean to be argumentative but goldies are pretty darn aaptable and do fine at least for awhile in there, its unheated anyway but like i said its only until i find another place for them so no problem. im talking about how much fish.

Don't post if you don't want honest (and IMO solid) advice. No one "lectured". As far as the DG thing, type in "dwarf gourami health" into google and tell me again how intensively you researched. If the tank is unheated, everything except the goldies are in the wrong temp most likely. "How much fish" doesn't really matter when they are so grossly mis-stocked. Forget about ever reading the inch per gallon rule, open your mind, read, and learn.

Don't post if you don't want honest (and IMO solid) advice. No one "lectured". As far as the DG thing, type in "dwarf gourami health" into google and tell me again how intensively you researched. If the tank is unheated, everything except the goldies are in the wrong temp most likely. "How much fish" doesn't really matter when they are so grossly mis-stocked. Forget about ever reading the inch per gallon rule, open your mind, read, and learn.

i did apologize....
please do not imply that i did not search hard.i did. period. how was i to know of that situation? just because i did not google dg health does not mean i did not search. i know what you mean, its seems not too plausible that i did not find the info before buying the fish. but thats what happend and thats just how it is. i do read, just because i am not a perfect purist aquarist and just because i made a few mistakes does not mean i am ignorant , not well read, and dont care about my fish as much as i should(all of which you heavily implied) i was not referring to the one inch rule. i visit this site and post here dont i? im not stupid. i do read. daily. lots. very large amounts. im not stupid.

We are not saying that you are not intelligent it's nothing personal it's just if you come on here asking that kind of question you have to expect to hear things about that. Do not feel that it is a personal attack or that you need to defend yourself just take the advise and learn from. This is the internet things are rarely sugar coated it's very advisable to not take things personal. Also if several people on here all give the exact same advice about a subject either listen to it or research it thoroughly before arguing with them when they know what they are saying is right.

razor backs fan- thanks. its not a personal attack but i feel that it was crossing the line to go into my dedication to researching my fish and other things. i know that those kinds of replies are expected, thats why i SPECIFICALLY asked not to lecture me about it. im not disagreeing with anyone here, i know what they say is true, which is why i gave reasons for my "gross misstocking" once again, i did research it thoroughly, just as "they know what they are saying is right" i KNOW that i did research about the dwarf gourami, i leave it to pure chance that those sites that give reasons for not buying dgs because of health issues were not happened upon by me. its not a personal attack, just insulting someone who made an honest mistake and gave clear and excusable reasons for these mistakes!

razor backs fan- thanks. its not a personal attack but i feel that it was crossing the line to go into my dedication to researching my fish and other things. i know that those kinds of replies are expected, thats why i SPECIFICALLY asked not to lecture me about it. im not disagreeing with anyone here, i know what they say is true, which is why i gave reasons for my "gross misstocking" once again, i did research it thoroughly, just as "they know what they are saying is right" i KNOW that i did research about the dwarf gourami, i leave it to pure chance that those sites that give reasons for not buying dgs because of health issues were not happened upon by me. its not a personal attack, just insulting someone who made an honest mistake and gave clear and excusable reasons for these mistakes!
I'm going to leave this conversation with this point you asked the question we gave solid advice, then you argued with our advice and accused of us of lecturing. By saying the goldfish would be fine you were arguing and how are we supposed to react? It's frustrating when someone won't actually head advice and fights the whole way when they were the one asking for help. I also bring up the fact that if you did that much research why is your tank unheated?

I'm going to leave this conversation with this point you asked the question we gave solid advice, then you argued with our advice and accused of us of lecturing. By saying the goldfish would be fine you were arguing and how are we supposed to react? It's frustrating when someone won't actually head advice and fights the whole way when they were the one asking for help. I also bring up the fact that if you did that much research why is your tank unheated?

the advice, helpful as it was, still DID not answer the question. THE GOLDFISH WILL BE MOVED. they will be fine, as in alive and well until i can move them, simple. so reacting by using personal insults is acceptable because of my arguing? i know the tank is out of whack, i know i made bad choices, i am working on those mistakes, but i asked if there are too much fish and this is what happens?? i am also improving the heating situation.

the advice, helpful as it was, still DID not answer the question. THE GOLDFISH WILL BE MOVED. they will be fine, as in alive and well until i can move them, simple. so reacting by using personal insults is acceptable because of my arguing? i know the tank is out of whack, i know i made bad choices, i am working on those mistakes, but i asked if there are too much fish and this is what happens?? i am also improving the heating situation.
The more important issue was what the fish are and there environment you did not state how long the tank had been established, the filtration etc... these are all important factors in stocking. We addressed your biggest problems first. Nowhere in this thread has there been a personal attack, I'm not sure where you're getting that. Questioning you about researching your research is not attacking you we are trying to help but in order to get across we were not sugar coating the advice, it was nothing remotely personal. You might have taken it that way but I believe that if you reread the thread with a clear head you will see that it was nothing personal.

"As far as the DG thing, type in "dwarf gourami health" into google and tell me again how intensively you researched"

"Forget about ever reading the inch per gallon rule, open your mind, read, and learn."

I personally found these rather insulting. Thanks for the advice. I know i acted inappropriately, please forgive me. Some things are simply a matter of opinion. Even though this debate happened and there are different opinions and views on the subject, i hope this wont stop any of us from being a productive member of this forum. And i hope that this will not degrade your opinion of me, although im rather inclined to think that it will...

"As far as the DG thing, type in "dwarf gourami health" into google and tell me again how intensively you researched"

"Forget about ever reading the inch per gallon rule, open your mind, read, and learn."

I personally found these rather insulting. Thanks for the advice. I know i acted inappropriately, please forgive me. Some things are simply a matter of opinion. Even though this debate happened and there are different opinions and views on the subject, i hope this wont stop any of us from being a productive member of this forum. And i hope that this will not degrade your opinion of me, although im rather inclined to think that it will...
I personally when researching about a fish will try search thing such as "dwarf gourami known diseases" As for the comment and that is solid advice for anyone we could all head it at one time or another so do not feel that it was implying that you weren't intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom