Overstocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1324

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank with a few plants and a 30 gallon hang on filter. I have 4 neon tetras, a glofish, a few ghost shrimp and 2 mollies that just had babies (3 survived). Is it too much to add another female molly? The male wont leave her alone and I was reading its good to have 2 females for every male.

It's ok, but you should take some of the babies out from time to time to avoid overstock.

Also neons should be in a school of 6 at least. And I have to warn you, the ghost shrimp may cause a horrible mess. I used to keep them and they ate half of my fish and trimmed almost 1/3 of the plants.

Your neons are ok in that tank and I don't think you have to worry about the shrimp I get thirty at a time and the only thing that they do is get eaten by my buenos aires tetras. I think you will be okay addin another molly

The problem I see with your setup is that if you have two female mollies and one male, then you essentially have a stocking time bomb. You'll keep having more and more until they start to dominate the tank, and livebearers in general have larger bioloads. When I had platies, I always had female-only tanks for this reason.

As far as you schooling fish go, the Glofish (danio) is really out of place. He needs some buds, although it would probably be easier to replace him with a few more tetras. Honestly, I don't think you would be that stocked if you bumped your tetras up to 10. 10 tetras and 3 mollies is moderate stocking for a tank that size.

The problem I see with your setup is that if you have two female mollies and one male, then you essentially have a stocking time bomb. You'll keep having more and more until they start to dominate the tank, and livebearers in general have larger bioloads. When I had platies, I always had female-only tanks for this reason.

As far as you schooling fish go, the Glofish (danio) is really out of place. He needs some buds, although it would probably be easier to replace him with a few more tetras. Honestly, I don't think you would be that stocked if you bumped your tetras up to 10. 10 tetras and 3 mollies is moderate stocking for a tank that size.

I agree if your going to have females you should have a setup for fry and decide what you are going to do with them

Ok so about the breeding should i get another tank? And is it ok to add tetras or danios like one at a time or all at the same time?

Oh and doe it matter if they are different colors?

Back
Top Bottom