Painting your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I guess first of all I should ask if it matters if your tank is glass or acrylic and next should ask if anyone can tell me if there is an easy way to know. The 1 I'm planning to paint is used so I have no idea what it is. I think glass but hubby thinks acrylic. :ermm:

Next what did you use and what technique? I've read some people using spray paint and others using foam rollers. Is there a preferred type of pain? I was thinking perhaps latex so if I ever wanted to take it off it would be easier??? Is that thinking wrong?

TIA!

It probably doesn't matter what the tanks made of. You could get a primer and have it made to the color you want and it will adhere better than regular paint. I used a napless roller when i did mine and that was years ago and the paints still on. I used Benjamin Moore. If its acrylic it will be much lighter then the glass one.

Ill have to find the link but if you do a search on painting tanks, you should find quite a few threads. I painted the back of my one tank last winter. Simple as taping the tank off well (use garbage bags to cover all exposed areas) and spraying. I just used a can of black spray paint I found in the garage (probably Rustoleum?). Do it in a couple light coats with ample time between the coats to let the paint cure & dry. If you try to cover everything at once, the paint will run & drip (found this out the hard way....). I would definitely do this again! :)

I wish I'd painted mine instead of using that backing. That was a pain to put on with that gel and it looks...meh. Next time I'm painting...

I did one recently with rollers and a pint of enamel paint. I imagine it might be difficult to get it off of an acrylic tank without scratching it up, and I don't know how paint strippers would react with acrylic. But if you are 110% set on a color then might as well.

I wish I'd painted mine instead of using that backing. That was a pain to put on with that gel and it looks...meh. Next time I'm painting...

Yea I made the mistake of wanting a background when I first set up my 20. Now I'm taking my new empty 30 and putting it in the 20s place and moving the 20 to the master bedroom. I'll paint the 30 first and move all the contents of the 20 into the 30 when it's good to go and then that will let my do the 20 too before I set it back up.

Good to know! The tanks are both a decent weight so I think they are glass. I'm going black on both and while I think they will stay black it would be nice to have the option of removing it with some ease. Especially if I screw up putting it on. lol

Hi, after I had setup my 55g glass with fish-in, I had decided I did not want paper background no more, I watched a few youtube videos and saw that all I had to do was move my filters to the sides of the tank , then I rolled on the paint carefully, let dry then did another layer till I could not see through anywhere (especially around the trim).....go for it.....I don't suggest spray paint if u already have fish....I attached a photo

Attachments

• 20121002_094049.jpg
    20121002_094049.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 53
Glass - has a silicone bead on all the seems inside the tank.
Acrylic - generally has no silicone on any of the seems since it is chemically welded.

For painting the back of the tank with something that can be removed in the future with relative ease I would suggest acrylic craft paint you can get a walmart or any craft type store for about 1 -3$ a bottle use a foam roller and apply 2 - 3 coats allow to dry between each. To remove the paint you can use a razor held on an angle and the paint will scrape right off any stubborn spots can be removed with a soft towel dipped in hot water or just scrape it off with a tooth pick. The paint will not etch acrylic tanks and is non-toxic so you won't have to drain your tank if you have fish in it currently. You can also speed the drying process with a hair dryer set on medium just keep it moving so you don't bake the paint.

Glass - has a silicone bead on all the seems inside the tank.
Acrylic - generally has no silicone on any of the seems since it is chemically welded.

For painting the back of the tank with something that can be removed in the future with relative ease I would suggest acrylic craft paint you can get a walmart or any craft type store for about 1 -3$ a bottle use a foam roller and apply 2 - 3 coats allow to dry between each. To remove the paint you can use a razor held on an angle and the paint will scrape right off any stubborn spots can be removed with a soft towel dipped in hot water or just scrape it off with a tooth pick. The paint will not etch acrylic tanks and is non-toxic so you won't have to drain your tank if you have fish in it currently. You can also speed the drying process with a hair dryer set on medium just keep it moving so you don't bake the paint.

awesome! Thank you. I will be doing this as it seems the easiest way. Doing it without fish is my plan. I'll be painting my 30 first, then when it's dry I'm putting it where my 20 is and putting all of my stock from the 20 into the 30. Then I will take the empty 20, paint that and get it moved up stairs to it's new home.

Great to know about acrylic VS glass too. That will be very helpful! I actually think my older tank is acrylic and the new one is glass. I'll have to double check though.

Back
Top Bottom