Panted tank substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omni024

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all I'm planning on upgrading to a 55 gallon and I was wondering what a good substrate would be for a general array of plants

My requirements are that it has to be cleanable so having just dirt is not an option. And preferably dark in color and I want to refrain from using sand if at all possible.

So in all of your experience would be either a single substrate or layered and is there a particular brand that you prefer ect.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cleanable?
IME the only cleaning you'd do to planted substrate is maybe hover over the surface to pick up junk, but really even that isn't necessary. I never even do that unless I have more than the usual clutter of dead leaves lying on the bottom. I love Eco Complete, but there are lots of others.

I also use EcoComplete in my planted tank and don't vacuum it at all (been setup for about 3 years).
Edit: Not saying you can't vacuum it. You can but preferably away from the plants' roots.

I use dirt with a layer of sand. The dirt needs whatever goes to the bottom to remain fertile so def no vacuuming. The sand, what with one thing and another, has disappeared into the dirt.

I find that flora Max is pretty good, but mixing flourite and flora max 50/50 is awesome! My plants grow amazing and have long healthy roots. It's super easy to use too.

Back
Top Bottom