PC bulb life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep hearing six months for the life of lights... and then other conflicting stories....

My question is how long do you go between bulb changes for PC's ?

I also favor the 9month timeframe for PC's. For VHO's I go 12 months. Something to consiter when trying to decide on what type to buy.

9 months. Afer that the light output falls off real fast and the CRI (color rendition index) is all screwed up and a spectrum change starts in the bulb.

What I find so amazing is that all us salty people know there is a limit to PC bulb life but every time I post the 9 month life limit of PC bulbs on the FW forums I get shot down that I dont know what I am talking about and you can run them till they burn out.

I can tell you there is a noticable different in my PC lights from month 1 to month 9. If I can notice the difference then that means the corals have been noticing the difference for quite a while longer.

Lux meters are cheap and will tell you exactly when to change a bulb. FW doesn't have a lot of photosynthetic corals so they don't have the same need we do.

Back
Top Bottom