peacock bass stopped eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubigonz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have had an aquarium for almost 2years now. I never really had any issues. I test the water frequently and vaccuum once a week including water changes. I noticed that my peacock bass (having been very aggressive eaters) stopped eating. They were eating pellets and they have had two helping of fish in the past year. I have 2 year old pacus and they are getting big (15") they eat vegetables. I had one bass get red spots (growth) all over. He was the smallest of my 5. I came home and he was gone. Assuming the other fish ate him. My bass are around 5". I have 3 left since I came home last night and one was gone. Also my pleco has seemed to slow down a bit. So, here is the story. 15" pacu(2) 5"peacock bass (3) 8"pleco(1). Aquarium is 240 gallons. Water test this morning reveals normal ranges, temps are around 80-82, I have an overflow filter (110 g) a fluval fx5(400 g) and a marineland c360(100g) also have 2 current producing fans.. Pacus seem to always be doing great. My last assumption is that my Pacus are causing stress on the others and making an unstable environment. I have tried to get rid of these pacus for the last 8 months. The only lady I heard of is in san diego and she apparently rescues them and then donates them to the sea world Pacu tank. She hasmy info and still hasnt reached me. The pacus were my first fish,I didnt know too much about aquariums nor that the size that the pacus would get. I love them but I would like to see them move on to bigger things (mainly a larger aquarium) I am happy to see the local pet store i purchased them from no longer sells them. I refuse to dump them in the local waterways ( i am also a fisherman). And I refuse to give them to someone who just wants big fish and doesn't have the space for them. Any advice will be apreciated.. Anyone have a larger aquarium they would like to trade/sell.lol Thanks.:fish2:

I would try not feeding for a day or two to get them good and hungry. And if they don't eat again then would be a cause for concern.

I'm jealous that yours eat pellets. My grow outs are among the most stubborn fish I have ever kept. I have not fead them for 4 days now and they STILL won't take pellets! Raaaarw!

Well they stopped eating the pellets. I do have small feeders in there. I actually took a count a lot are gone. But I am not sure if the bass got them or pacu. The bass don't appear to have that thick belly like they usually do. And I never see the pacu eat fish. Guess I gotta take some time out of the day and just sit there and watch and watch. Hoping not to lose any more bass. I have a feeling the pacu are causing this.

Yeah it sounds to me that the pacu are causing some stress to them. P bass are among some of the greediest eaters I have ever kept. My 4 suck down 4 bloodworm cubes like its nothing and they are roughly 3-3.5".

I can't wait for it warm up so I can get the old minnow trap out. And go do some fishing myself. I actually don't eat fish, so I fillet them up and cut up 1" slices to freeze and use as food. I had about 20 lbs of catfish I fed to my fish last year haha.

I normally eat all the fish I don't release. I have also fed crickets and meal worms to them. If I drop crickets the pacu will eat. **** pacu. They have a ton of personality but starting to piss me off. I may have some extra fish for you to feed your fish. Lol JK!

Back
Top Bottom