Peacock Eel v.s Amano Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Who would win? Would my pecock eel eat these guys?

Also, would angelfish? My angels have killed 2 guppies before, so im not sure!

I kept bamboo shrimp with angels without an issue. I have heard about success with amanos and angels before because of the size the amanos reach. I do not know about the eel though. And assuming you still have Phineas, he would be a definite threat to an amano surviving.

absolutangel04 said:
I kept bamboo shrimp with angels without an issue. I have heard about success with amanos and angels before because of the size the amanos reach. I do not know about the eel though. And assuming you still have Phineas, he would be a definite threat to an amano surviving.

My gabriel (larger angel) is a very curious dude. He nips at snails and everything. I could definitly see him going after smaller amanos, but im not dure if he could get a 3-4" one!

The eel, i am sortof worried about, and sortof not. He really isnt agressive, and has a very small mouth. BUT- he can rip a bloodworm cube out of my hands if im not careful!

Hey, you remember phineas! Yes, i still have him, and am in the process of convincing my brother to let me rehome him. I definitly wouldnt add amanos with him in the tank, he would go to town haha:)

Yeah, peacock eels are one of those things that look so innocent until you see them gobble up something. Lol. I honestly do not know if an amano would be ok or not. They are speedy, and good hiders, so I think they could probably outrun your angels. But I am not sure what would happen if they got snuck up on...

Haha so true, they like twist their body, and can get some good pulling force!

I think ill skip the amanos for now, unless i see some huge ones one day and think they would make it.

How bout bamboo shrimp though? Do they have much of a bio load? Are they easy to keep? I know they are filter feederd

No, they are not easy to keep to be honest. Its hard to make sure they get enough to filter. Also, nippy fish can pick on them and make lives miserable. I have seen some get slowly get nipped to death. They do hide, but if they are hiding all the time, then they don't filter enough and starve to death.
They need a sheltered area right around a bubble wand or filter intake or something like that, and even then lots of people can't keep them alive for long. You also often have to suppliment them by injecting food toward their fanms with a turkey baster or something. I know you could do that part, but then you would have to hope your other fish leave the shrimp alone enough.

Sheesh! Seems like their odds of living wouldnt be too great either! I have plenty of plants around the filters, and there is alot of flow...but ya, they might be picked on

Yeah, bamboos are a bit difficult. It also doesn't help that its pretty darn hard to find healthy ones in stores. Most of the ones I see for sale already look pretty bad. I only come across healthy ones every so often. Then, there is the added issue that most all of the ones available in the trade are wild-caught, so you have no idea how old they are. Its pretty common for even healthy ones to only last a few months in a tank because they were old in the first place when they were caught.

Back
Top Bottom