Peacock Gudgeon Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshObsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
Submitted by FreshObsessed :fish1:

Common Name: Peacock Gudgeon, Eye Spot Sleeper, Rainbow Goby

Scientific Names: Tateurndina ocellicauda

Category: Gudgeon

Family: Eleotridae

Origin: New Guinea, Eastern Papau

Main Ecosystem: Slow-Moving Ponds and Streams in NG's Jungle areas.

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Peaceful

Diet: Omnivore
Side Note: They are not very fond of dried foods/flakes/granules, basically common fish food, live and/ or frozen food (ie. Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, Mosquito Larvae, etc.)

Care: No special care

pH: 6.0-7.5

Temperature: 76-80 Degrees F is recommended

Hardness: Should not exceed 80 PPMs (Moderate)

Potential size: 3"

Water Region: Bottom-Middle Dweller

Activity: Diurnal

Lifespan: 3-5 years in home aquaria

Color: Black, Red, White, Yellow, Blue, Gray

Mouth: Small

Sexing: Males are larger and have a "hump-head" while females don't, are smaller, rarely exceeding 2", and show a brighter yellow coloration.

Acclimation: These fish aren't generally sensitive so floating the bag then adding some tank water-method will be fine but Drip-Acclimation is always better. :D

Breeding: To breed Peacocks you need to set up spawning spots. (Rocks, TerraCotta Pots, PVC pipe, caves, etc.) Good quality frozen food and/or live encourage breeding.
Side Note: A Peacock Gudgeon Breeding tank can be 10 Gallons, only if the tank will not be the pair's permanent home, yet a fry raising tank.

Comments: These fish are beautiful fish that can be kept with any peaceful community fish. They beat ol', boring bottom dwellers, for sure! They are very picky eaters and can cause some distress at first, but stick with em'. ;)

Other facts:
1 Pair/Trio should be house in a 15 Gallon minimum. 2 Pairs+ deserve a 20G+ to live comfortably.
Males can be "pushy" or aggressive to females during breeding time.
Bloodworms are their favorite treat. Fresh or frozen. :ROFLMAO:
A plump tummy shows that your Peacock Gudgeon is eating well!

Sources: Myself, Peacock Gudgeon - Tateurndina ocellicauda (Page in Preparation), Peacock goby ? care and breeding, and The Peacock Gudgeon, Tateurndina Ocellicauda Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

--Fresh Obsessed :dance:

Bought two of these little guys two weeks ago from my LFS and I have to say they are worth every penny. One of them had a pretty plump belly and I was convinced it was eggs. Whelp two weeks later, she's guarding the decorative pot in my tank like its her personal fortress. I haven't been able to see the eggs, but the way she guards it has me convinced.

I had 3 of these, 1M2F , bit tails off of all my threadfin rainbows , they are awesome and beautiful but be carefull of other fish. $20 each
Got money back tho.

Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on Peacock Gudgeons. Iv read all the specs on the fish and they sound like theyed be good for my set up but Id like to get some real life experience and info. I have been thinking on adding some to my 30 gal planted community tank, iv added 2 clown loaches sense the video was made. thanks!

Hey Fresh,
Thanks for adding another wanted fish to my list!
Any fish they shouldn't be kept with in particular? You said a 15 could be okay for a pair or trio...if it's not optimum I wouldn't go that way but would be interested to find out if they would bicker with anyone else, or inverts.
Thanks!

I had a couple of these in a Big tank, with danios, rasbora, betta, Cory's, ......
I don't know who was being a jerk , Gudgeon or Killifish that were in there..... Someone nipped fins off at night ?? I got rid of both.
Who do you think did it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom