Peacocks with Bolivians??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aam4987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to keep Peacock Cichlids with Bolivian Rams? Has anyone done this before with success? I have an empty 75 gallon at the moment.

I'm new to the Cichlid world.
Thanks in advance!

I've kept African Cichlids (Peacocks & Haps) with American Cichlids ( Red & Green Terrors, Salvinis, Firemouths). I stocked them all together as juveniles. I thought the big Terrors needed tough target fish (Africans) as to avoid aggression.
As the fish matured it quickly became clear that the Africans weren't needed and my entire setup looked awkward. The American Cichlids are River, Swamp & Pond fish. The Africans are more or less reef fish. Just not a good combination. I ended up rehoming the Africans.
It's probably possible to keep Peacocks with Bolivian Rams. The Rams would have to adjust to hard water with a PH between 7.8 - 8.4. The Peacocks won't do well in Ram friendly water. IMO, Not a good idea.

If you do go with Rams the Bolivians would be the right pick. I think they'd adapt to higher pH and are more forgiving than German blue's. Why not just stick with Africans?

I have both Africans and Bolivians right now. I was just wondering how they would do together. I was thinking about trying them in my 75.

You never know until you try. I keep two different varieties of Botia loaches in my African tank and they do just fine. Good luck.(y)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom