Pearl Gourami chasing killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought golden wonder killi will chase pearl because pearl is the most peaceful fish but no as soon as I put killifish in tank pearl became crazy and the chase is not like chase and ignore. He is continuously finding him to pick on killi. Not ignoring him. Pearl is small. Have only one pearl in tank with two Angels and Ghost knife in 50 gallon.

I read golden killi can be housed with Angels and killi will not nip Angels fins because he is only one. I decided to keep an eye on tank how killi will behave but the results totally unexpected. Angels are not paying attention to him and he also isn't but Pearl is continuously chasing him badly. Can I do anything?

Break his line of sight by putting in plants. Make sure your fish can't see straight across the tank. Honey Gouramis are a little more peaceful for future knowledge, but Gouramis in general are a little more on the aggressive side. Your Gourami can't chase something they can't see. Also, do you have floating plants for him? Gouramis need floating plants, so that might calm him down.

Break his line of sight by putting in plants. Make sure your fish can't see straight across the tank. Honey Gouramis are a little more peaceful for future knowledge, but Gouramis in general are a little more on the aggressive side. Your Gourami can't chase something they can't see. Also, do you have floating plants for him? Gouramis need floating plants, so that might calm him down.
Thanks. Can you please suggest what floating plants you mean. I have planted tank but don't know what are floating plants specially. Anyways I separate them. Killi was very stressed but now swimming happily.
Killis are surface fish, as I recall? Maybe the pearl is a maybe coming into breeding form and he sees the killi as a danger to any nest he'd make.
Its the only one and not pregnant or something. I put him in a different tank where already a gold gourami. Now gold gourami is chasing pearl. Killi is now happy and swimming on top happily.

And for future if I see a honey gourami at store can I buy a put him with Angels? Are they nippy?

I personally like Frogbit and Salvinia Minima, and I have even sold them in the past which is how I actually funded my aquarium rebuild.

Just don't buy Duckweed. It grows like crazy and hard to get rid of once you have it. Floating plants are great because they suck up nitrates really really well.

And for future if I see a honey gourami at store can I buy a put him with Angels? Are they nippy?

Mine is the most peaceful fish I have ever seen. The most aggressive thing I have ever seen my HG do, is when I new fish is in the tank, he will come over and put his Ventral Fins on them to touch them to see if they are real. Really funny actually.

My DG on the other hand fought to the death with my GBR's. And anything with a flowing tail like a guppy he would fight with.

I personally like Frogbit and Salvinia Minima, and I have even sold them in the past which is how I actually funded my aquarium rebuild.

Just don't buy Duckweed. It grows like crazy and hard to get rid of once you have it. Floating plants are great because they suck up nitrates really really well.

Mine is the most peaceful fish I have ever seen. The most aggressive thing I have ever seen my HG do, is when I new fish is in the tank, he will come over and put his Ventral Fins on them to touch them to see if they are real. Really funny actually.

My DG on the other hand fought to the death with my GBR's. And anything with a flowing tail like a guppy he would fight with.
Thanks a lot. Very valuable info. Very helpful for me in deciding further.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom