Pegnant swordtail acting very strangly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover1239

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have a pregnant swordtail that is acting very strangly. (about 4 weeks into the pregnancy) She hides in the back of the tank close to the plants. The other fish are swimming around her all the time and she contantly chases them away. I put her in a breeding box so she will have less stress. Are these signs that my swordtail is about to give birth?
Please reply soon.

Sounds like it to me, is this the first time she is giving birth in your care? How many males and females do you have and what other fish? What size is your tank?

First time she is giving birth in my care, I have another male, I have a 10 gallon tank and I have 1 balloon molly, 2 guppies, 5 neon tetras

So you have 2 swords m and f, 1 molly, what gender are the guppies and molly? and five neons? do you have a lot of plants or anything? Is she accepting food?

Yes those are my fish, and she is not accepting food. Which really worries me. It is a very heavily planted tank but I put her in a breeding box for now. Also I have a F and M guppy, F molly.

Has she popped? She isn't eating, and that is a sign she is ready to give birth. Don't keep her in the box too long though.

She has a squared belly and she has been in the box for a day now (again not eating at all now). How long can I keep her in a breeding box?

How's everything going, FishLover?
We also have an expecting swordtail since we added a live plant to the top of our tank. We've been looking for the black triangle on her belly. We have a "Baby Nursery". When do we put her in it? Someone suggested to put her in now, but she seemed stressed (banging into glass), so we removed her. It's been about 3 weeks since they spawned.

Thanks & have a great day!
:)
Deb

My swordtail did give birth to 2 babies. If you have an expecting swordtail you first have to look for a gravid spot(just to make sure if she is pregnant). Its right at the end of her belly. Also if it has been 3 weeks, wait another 3 to 4 days and then put her in the nursery since they have a gestation period of 4 weeks. But put her in the nursery before her due date that way she can get use to the surrondings.
Hope I have answered your question.:D

Back
Top Bottom