Pelvicachromis Subocellatus Diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I acquired 4 subocellatus juveniles (two male/two female) in Nov 05. They were placed in a 30 gal community tank. The tank has 25% weekly water changes, temp 79, no ammonia, no nitrites, heavily planted tank. One week ago I moved one of the males out of the tank and placed him in a 10 gal as the dominant male was getting too aggressive. I treated this fish with melafix & pimafix for seven days as the flesh around his mouth was deteriorating & pink. No improvement was made although the fish is still alive. One of the females in the 30 gal now has the same condition. The flesh around their mouths looks like it is being eaten away. The other male in the 30 gal has developed a couple of pin sized holes at the base of the dorsal fin. He otherwise appears to be fine. I am uncertain how to treat this as the melafix/pimafix did not seem to have any affect. The only thing my research has turned up is mouth fungus. Does this sound like this? I have also had this condition in the past with male cacatuoides where their mouth literally seems to be eaten away. My water conditions are always very good and I would very much like to save these fish.

Check out this link, and read on columnaris. Does this look like what your fish has?

http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#External

Columnaris needs to be treated with an antibiotic such as Maracyn 2 or Kanaplex (kanamycin) if you can find it. Mouth fungus is another name for columnaris I believe, but it's not a true fungus, even though it might look like it. It is a bacterial infection that, based on my experience and others on this site, can kill very quickly.

HTH

One photo of the mouth looks close. If I cannot catch these fish to quarantine them, is it safe to treat the entire tank? The website does not indicate if it is infectious?? I assume if it is, it would be best to treat the entire tank. Does Maracyn destroy the bacteria in your filter media?

Yes, it is infectious. I would treat you entire tank. Maracyn is an antibiotic, so it can kill good bacteria. People have had mixed results with it. I would keep an eye on water parameters during and after treatment as a precaution.

HTH and good luck

Back
Top Bottom