Penguin filter impeller getting stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macrosill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Penguin biowheel filter on my 10 gal tank. I just recently changed the substrate from gravel to sand. Today I noticed a problem. My filter stopped. I checked it out and apparently some sand grains got into the filter and were lodged in the impeller well stopping the impeller. Is there a way to keep the sand out? Maybe a foam prefilter? Any advice or "tricks of the trade" would be great.

Thanks

You can put a prefilter on it or if you want, try a pair of pantyhose over the intake. How close to the sand is the filter intake? Can you raise it a bit off the sand bed if it is close?

I am not to keen on the idea of the pantyhose but I am willing to try it. The intake is a few inches from the substrate, I can shorten it up a bit. Prefilter, I know what it is in theory but what would I use for it and how would I attach it? A thin piece of sponge type material wrapped around the intake and held on with some zipties???

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom