Percula Clown and Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfabio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two percula clown fish and I just bought an anenome last Saturday. I've had the clown fish for about 2-3 months now. Both tank raised. Is there a way to get them into the anenome? It seems that only one clown fish will go in and the other one just hovers over it, but only when the light is off. When the light is on, both of them don't really approach the anenome. Does the anenome not sting when the light is off and it's curled up?

Also, I have a 24watt bulb for a 15 gallon tank. Is this enough light for the anenome?

The anenome has also positioned itself under the rock with the tentacles facing outward. Is this normal? I also fed it krill. It ate it and then spit it out later.

I don't know what type of anenome it is. I'm guessing it's sebae anenome since it's pinkish with purple tips.

From what I undestand it is not always guaranteed that a clown will take home in an anemone. I am not aware of any tips on getting them to go to it either.

It sounds like you may have a purple tip, I am not sure that they assocaite with them??? I know they do with bubble tips but I thougth purple tips were different. I couldl be wrong though.

Sorry, I was not much help
Christina

I'd say you should have about 65w 50/50, that would not cost you that much. That lighting is not enough, anemones need a lot of light, like many corals.

From what I've read, you can't really do anything about your percula. They will either take to the anenome or they won't. Hopefully not the later.
I've had a similar experience and it took to the anenome within a week and before I got the anenome, I had the percula for about 5 months.
I usually feed it a piece of shrimp once a week.
As for it being under a rock, there isn't much you can do. If you move the rock, the anenome will just move to where it is comfortable. Just be patience with it and the percula and if it doesn't work out for you, you atleast have a beautiful invert in your tank :D

You will need to upgrade your lights very soon. You do not have near the amount of light required for an anemone. Also, it is important that you identify what type it is so we can give you some more specialized advice. It is always a gamble with anemone and clown pairing. A lot of the clowns today are tank raised and have no idea what to do with an anemone. You also need to identify this to see if it is really a hosting anemone or not. How long has your tank been running? What are your water parameters? You may want to rethink the tang and the grouper as your tank is too small to house such fish. good luck and keep us posted on how it goes! Lando

I've always wondered about the statement that tank bred clownfish won't know about anemones. How do their wild counterparts know about them? Do they just observe other clowns doing it and follow suit, or is it pure instinct? I can't help thinking there's some deep genetics involved (afterall they're immune to the sting), and the tank bred specimens should have the same genetic makeup so maybe they just don't feel the need to host. Try putting on a halloween mask and see if he runs for cover into the anemone :lol:

I think having tank raised clowns host in an anemone is just a matter of luck. My LFS, as well as many on this site, say not to expect it to happen. However, I had a tank raised ocellaris pair with my Rose BTA after only three days in the tank, so it can happen. I do think it is rather uncommon. On a sad note...when I recently upgraded my tank I put my fish in a rubbermade tub with a power head. The sponge cover of the power head fell off and my beautiful little clown was sucked up and killed. I still feel terrible about this. I replace him with a pair of true percs that are wild caught. They have been in the display tank for almost a week and have no interest in my anemone. Ya just never know.

I'm pretty sure that the anemone is a sebae because it looks just like it. My one percula actually does go inside of it at night and in the daytime now. So I'm sure that the anemone will host perculas. Right? The other one just hovers over it still and just touches it with its fins, but doesn't go inside.

As for the grouper and tang, hopefully by the time the tang gets bigger I should have a bigger tank. And when the grouper gets too big, I'll probably sell it and get a smaller one.

The guy at the fish store told me how he can get a clown into an anemone. He said he would catch them in a net and put it over the anemone. That's how he would introduce the clown to the anemone and give him a chance to build up the slime to protect it from the anemone's sting. And he would do this over a couple of days. I don't know if this is true, but does it work?

I believe the fish coat themselves in slime from the base of the anemone, not the tentacles. Until the fish is coated, the anemone will know its there and sting. I don't have one, so I'm far from experienced with them, but thats what I have read. GL tho'.

If it is a sebae, they are considered a hosting anemone. As for the clown, give it time and see what happens. I would avoid netting the fish and placing it over the anemone. This will just cause extra stress on them. Let them find each other naturally. You need to take measures to keep this thing alive now. You do not have near enough light for a sebae. They require 5-6 watts per gal. of light. CF lighting will work but I suggest you take the hood off of your tank so you get better penetration. MH would be best for this type of anemone. They also require perfect water conditions. Again, how old is your tank and what are your water parameters? Things like temp, Ph, SG, ALK, Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate all need to be perfect to keep this animal. And remember, most on this site do not advocate keeping anemones in tanks that are less then one year old. They do require mature and well established tanks. Good Luck and let us know how things are going...Lando

My temperature right now is around 78-80. The pH is about 8.2, 0 Ammonia, Nitrates around 20ppm, 0 nitrites. SG about 1.021-1.022. My levels in my tank have not jumped around since I started it in March.

honestly, your tank is too young for an anemone. You will want ot try to get those nitates down a little. Also, try raising your SG to about 1.024. Any thoughts on the light upgrade yet?

I have 2 tank raised clowns for the last 3 months, and neither of them are the least bit interested in the anemone(s). I would love to be able to watch that special bond they have with their host, but I love to watch them anyway. If they never take to it, it's OK.

Mike

Nice job on the light. It should be much happier. Good luck and post some pics some time.

Back
Top Bottom